REFLECTOR: Canard Cover and cowl attachment system
Andy Millin
amillin at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 7 09:39:36 CDT 2005
Chuck,
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/SSCFCMXS.cfm
10-32 3/4" torx is the only length they DO have. I bought some. They are
nice.
Andy
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Jensen
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:13 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Canard Cover and cowl attachment system
Scott,
3/4" torx are available, but not with the 100 degree head from
microfastners, http://www.microfasteners.com. Given the low load and
tinnerman underneath, I suppose a person could get by with screws with the
wrong head angle, but we all hate to start down that path.
I asked Microfastners if they would make any 3/4" torx. He said I was the
first that had asked and if he filled an order for 100, he'd have 14,900
left over from his minimum order. I told him that would be okay with me but
he seemed unpersuaded!
Chuck
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:58 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Canard Cover and cowl attachment system
Chuck,
Yeah I keep a ready supply of new stainless screws on the top of my tool
box. I refuse to use a worn looking screw and toss them in the trash.
I can see how I could do the hinges where the cowls fit to the wings,
but the fuselage junction seems a tough one?
I don't like the idea of the piano wire coming out into the arc of the
prop. That would require a bullet proof secure method.
I'm surprised you can't get a 3/4" torx screw?
Scott
Chuck Jensen wrote:
>Scott, I concur about the screws and washers. I do a little Irish
>dance every time I strip a Phillips head. Fortunately, out of the
>dozens on the cowling and dog house, I've yet to lose one through the
>prop, at least I've not noticed any memory marks on the prop.
>
>Ron Brown has the piano hinge arrangement on his and it certainly seems
>to work well. While I'd like a better/faster system, its safe to say
>that modifying mine is not on the to-do list. As a half-step, I'd like
>to go to the torx screws but they don't make any screws 3/4" long,
>which I need to reach the blind nut on the rear attachment points, so
>I'll just keep stripping Phillips.
>
>Chuck
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
>Behalf Of Scott Derrick
>Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 7:48 PM
>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Canard Cover and cowl attachment system
>
>
>Chuck, I hate all those stainless screws and washers, so does my prop!
>
>Can you get some pictures of all the hinges with a description together
>for those of us that want to change to your system?
>
>You could post them on tvbf or I could on tvbf or my site?
>
>thanks,
>
>Scott
>
>Chuck Harbert wrote:
>
>
>
>>I have the small canard cutout (approx 7" by 24"), and it is fastened
>>without screws/fasteners. It uses aluminun wedges on the forward part
>>and a spring loaded door latch on the aft side. I open it by pulling a
>>cable (runs inside a plastic tube) that opens the door latch. I also
>>have a couple springs pushing the cover up, so that it doesn't move. I
>>use the same system for the front top door (gear access door?). It
>>works fine and doesn't move in flight, plus it's very easy to open and
>>close. I understand that some other Velocity's use this system.
>>
>>The thing I like best is my cowl attachment system which uses 6 piano
>>hinges only (no screws or fasteners). I can take off my cowls in about
>>10 seconds (I've done it). I saw this type of system on a Lancair, and
>>it wasn't that difficult to build, plus it's stronger and doesn't wear
>>out or crack. Don't know if anybody has this on their Velocity.
>>
>>Chuck H
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives:
>>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw =vbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw =vbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list