REFLECTOR: Canard Cover and cowl attachment system
Keith Hallsten
KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Wed Jul 6 19:50:09 CDT 2005
Chuck Harbert,
I have a couple of chain bolts (from National Hardware) to hold my nose
access cover closed, which will be pulled with bicycle control cables to
open the door. I used a pair of aluminum baggage door hinge arms from a
wrecked twin to attach the front of the door to the fuselage.
I assume that you installed the piano hinges on the top and bottom of the
wings where the cowl meets the wings and pull the pins from the back,
through the prop arc. How did you attach the front of the cowls to the back
of the fuselage? I really like the idea of not having nut plates wearing
out and screws going into the prop!
Keith Hallsten, XLFG
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Harbert
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 1:35 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Canard Cover and cowl attachment system
I have the small canard cutout (approx 7" by 24"), and it is fastened
without screws/fasteners. It uses aluminun wedges on the forward part and a
spring loaded door latch on the aft side. I open it by pulling a cable (runs
inside a plastic tube) that opens the door latch. I also have a couple
springs pushing the cover up, so that it doesn't move. I use the same system
for the front top door (gear access door?). It works fine and doesn't move
in flight, plus it's very easy to open and close. I understand that some
other Velocity's use this system.
The thing I like best is my cowl attachment system which uses 6 piano hinges
only (no screws or fasteners). I can take off my cowls in about 10 seconds
(I've done it). I saw this type of system on a Lancair, and it wasn't that
difficult to build, plus it's stronger and doesn't wear out or crack. Don't
know if anybody has this on their Velocity.
Chuck H
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list