REFLECTOR: Canard Cover and cowl attachment system

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 15:34:40 CDT 2005


I have the small canard cutout (approx 7" by 24"), and it is fastened 
without screws/fasteners. It uses aluminun wedges on the forward part and a 
spring loaded door latch on the aft side. I open it by pulling a cable (runs 
inside a plastic tube) that opens the door latch. I also have a couple 
springs pushing the cover up, so that it doesn't move. I use the same system 
for the front top door (gear access door?). It works fine and doesn't move 
in flight, plus it's very easy to open and close. I understand that some 
other Velocity's use this system.

The thing I like best is my cowl attachment system which uses 6 piano hinges 
only (no screws or fasteners). I can take off my cowls in about 10 seconds 
(I've done it). I saw this type of system on a Lancair, and it wasn't that 
difficult to build, plus it's stronger and doesn't wear out or crack. Don't 
know if anybody has this on their Velocity.

Chuck H 




More information about the Reflector mailing list