REFLECTOR: Painting with Awlgrip

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Jul 2 08:46:34 CDT 2005


Ron,

I don't understand why you only painted one side??  I painted my canard 
and elevators in one swell foosh.  Hung them leading edge down.  This 
helps tremendously when you balance them, the elevators that is.

I can only think that your first coat was too heavy. I waited 30 to 45 
minutes between coats. Each successive coat should wet out, its tricky 
of course getting it just wet enough to flow but not run.  Awlgrip does 
sell a anti-orange peel additive.

The destructions from AwlGrip say: 

Apply a light smooth slightly wet tack coat to the surface.  Allow tack 
coat to flash off in 30 to 45 minutes.

For two coat applications apply  a full wet coat to achieve color 
coverage and film thickness.

For three coat applications, coats 2 and 3 are not "full wet" coats, the 
second is a slightly wet heavy tack coat, with the third just wet enough 
to obtain  full color coverage.  Allow the second coat to flash off in 
30 to 45 minutes until only slightly tacky before applying the third coat.

Scott

Ron Brown wrote:

> I shot the bottom of my control surfaces today.  Temperature was 91 
> but with humidity of 49%
>
> I got a beautiful first coat - light but wet finish.  The second coat 
> was shot after it started getting tacky.  It came out a little dry 
> looking - still trying to keep it from getting too thick.  The third 
> coat, light again but wet turned into orange peel.
>
> Did I shoot the first coat too wet?  I used the standard reducer in a 
> HF HVLP gun (10 psi on the regulator) and mixed the reducer to 30%.
>
> By the way, after shooting the 3 coats, I still had 6 oz left.  I 
> calculated the standard coverage of 210 sq feet per gallon.  I shot 
> the bottoms of the control surfaces, one side of each rudder and the 
> main gear leg doors. Equals 40 sq feet and calculated to take 29 
> ounces of mixed paint but only needed 23 ounces to cover with three 
> coats.
>
> Thanks for the help AND HAVE A HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!
> Ronnie
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list