REFLECTOR: Rudders on lower winglet
Ron Brown
romott at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 25 21:11:52 CST 2005
Hiroo,
I have Alan Shaw's long wings which did not have the bottom winglets. However, after flying the factory 173 which had winglets and VG's, I was very pleased with how well it handled - so I added the lower winglets and VG's just before first flights. My rudders go all the way to the top but stop at the wing on the bottom.
I have 160 hours on my V and I love the way it handles. Plenty of rudder authority. Stiff at cruise speed for sure, but in the pattern they are very effective and my plane handles very well on final, gusty winds and all. I am based at a 3000' runway which is down in the trees and near a large lake. Winds and rotors can be brutal at times, but no problem keeping her lined up and hitting the runway, as good as the 172 I used to have.
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: Hiroo Umeno
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 6:07 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Rudders on lower winglet
Hello folks!
There seems to be two schools of thoughts on the lower winglet and the treatments of the rudders. I have SUV (standard wing).
I received the pre-molded lower winglet with my kit. They are hollow fiberglass pieces that will fit below the wing tip. I have seen some photographs of Velocities that have rudders that extend to the lower portion of the winglet. I have also seen some that stops at the wing bottom and the lower winglet is entirely fixed in place.
What is the community consensus on this subject?
Hiroo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050125/40fe9219/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list