REFLECTOR: leak detection

Dave Black dvblack at comcast.net
Sun Jan 23 13:04:22 CST 2005


> Al,

> The fuel system is now empty, and I am going to put a bit of
> air pressure into the system and search for a leak.  I know
> there are leak detection solutions that are better than soap;
> just don’t know what they are and where I might find them
> locally.

I think the Freon-sniffer method is great, and I'd absolutely go that route if
a sniffer is conveniently available to you. But I would not spent too much
time searching for one. I used dishwashing detergent mixed with water.
Bubble-bath solution would be fine also. 

Apply pressure to the system using a party balloon, and spray the bubble
solution on the areas under test. Pay special attention to the corners and
joints where tubes emerge from the tanks, as odds are slim that your leak is
in a flat area. 

Once the leak is located, it can be filled by painting the leak area with
resin, while by mouth gently sucking the fuel tank to a lower pressure. This
will draw the resin into the leak. If you 'taste' the resin, stop sucking. You
don't want to pull the resin completely into the tank; you want it to stop in
the leak, plugging it. 

An untested thought: Since your leak has been leaking actual fuel, there may
be fuel stains around the leak. It may be possible to see those stains under
ultraviolet light. What I don't know is whether fuel stains show up under
ultraviolet. But that could be determined easily enough. 

Dave


More information about the Reflector mailing list