REFLECTOR: OIL SEPARATOR

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Sun Jan 9 12:44:35 CST 2005


Hello Tom,
TSO'd oil separators cost an arm and a leg.  Aircraft Spruce sells a complete line of oil separators.  I believe Denis used on manufactured by RMJ.  There are several, less costly, models listed for experimental aircraft.  The oil separator is not a safety issue.  You might want to do your first flights without a separator - observe the amount of oil being consumed (or thrown overboard) and consider later on if a separator is right for your installation.  Denis and Jack needed one to ensure the engine would not "puke" too much oil over the North Atlantic.
Scott B.
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Tom Martino 
  To: reflector at tvbf.org 
  Cc: Scott Baker - Velocity 
  Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 3:10 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: OIL SEPARATOR


  I have been in touch with the chaps is England and France who built a Velocity 173 Elite RG ... in the exact configuration as mine (IO-540, MT 4-Bldae Prop).  They answered a ton of questions and said it was as stable as a rock - even at the aft CG limit.  Our W&B is very similar.

   

  One thing they brought up that they said I should do ... so I'm asking if anyone knows where to get it.

   

  They said they mounted an oil separator on the firewall for the crankcase breather.  I was just going to have a straight hose out the crankcase breather thru the bottom cowling.  They said that would be messy.

   

  They said the separator they have works wonderful and they got it through the Velocity factory.  Does anyone know where to find it?

   

   

   

   



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050109/98b5a872/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list