REFLECTOR: fuel feed - my solutions

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Feb 28 14:16:54 CST 2005


Jim Sower wrote:

> Scott,
> "*... *open the* moment ...*" is, IMO a poor choice of words.  That's 
> true *only* if the fuel vent check valve has *zero* cracking pressure 
> (which /does not occur in nature/).  Per my earlier post, the cracking 
> pressure of the check valve (whatever amount it might be) will inhibit 
> flow from the strakes to the sump.  If it is sufficiently small, it 
> will not have a great effect, but if it is sufficiently large, it will 
> *stop* flow to the sump.  In my previous post, I believe I 
> demonstrated that a 0.5 psi cracking pressure will totally stop flow.
>
> I would welcome less sweeping, unsupported generalities and more of a 
> point by point rebuttal of my math, my physics or my analytical methods.
>
> I hope we can abandon rhetoric in favor of rational engineering 
> analysis ... Jim S.
>
>eck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
Jeez Jim, got your panties all in a knot do you?  Take a couple deep 
breaths....

I'm taking a WAG here but I think that Scott B. meant that the "fuel 
vent check valve" would open when the pressure differential exceeded the 
valves spring pressure.  Check valves are made with quite a low spring 
pressure that would open well within the operating range for the fuel 
pump to suck it open. and once the valve is open it takes less pressure 
to keep it open.

Scott


More information about the Reflector mailing list