REFLECTOR: electrical sys design

Brett Ferrell bferrell at 123mail.net
Thu Feb 24 19:45:05 CST 2005


Jim - can't remember if you need a vacuum pump or not, but the gear-driven B&C alternators are excellent backups
http://www.bandcspecialty.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?17X358218
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jim Sower 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 8:02 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: electrical sys design


  I'm going to avoid backup batteries.  Batteries are heavy and they don't fail.  I'm looking for a small backup alternator.  Alternators (or more precisely, their drive belts) do fail, and they don't weigh as much as batteries.  I'm looking for a small, light weight alternator that even if it won't tote the whole load will at least extend the battery life to [close to] fuel exhaustion.

  Or perhaps come up with an alternator that doesn't need a belt ... Jim S.

  Jack Sheehan wrote:

    Great I knew there was an advantage to being 225#!! I don't need the second battery for CG reasons.
    Seriously If you are going to have two batteries in the nose you are going to have to make some serious modifications. Not much room in there. I guess you could move the nose oil cooler to the wing root but then you need to do something about the cabin heat. A smaller battery could go on top of the canard but then it is really in the cabin. I wish  had taken Bob's course I probably would have done things a little different
-- 
  Jack Sheehan
    Executive Director
    National Consortium for Aviation Mobility (NCAM)
    Visit the following sites
    http://www.ncam-sats.org, http://www.sats2005.com, http://sats.nasa.gov 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050224/bcb489f1/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list