REFLECTOR: Aerobatics: Rolling about a point

Greg Poole gpoole at zeta.org.au
Wed Feb 23 19:36:09 CST 2005


Yes, I too have very fond memories of a flight out of Sebastian - with Scott Swing in what was then "the Multicolour" (previously the orange machine that I believe was famous for withstanding a flat stall into the drink with pilot) ....and is now Wayne Lanza's bird. We had a Mooney pass us on the way back into Sebastian and Scott winked at me and asked if he could take control and would I enjoy rubbing salt into a Mooney Pilot by hooking round and overtaking him? 

Never being one to let an opportunity pass for a bit of sport (got to keep the Aussie persona alive!), I readily agreed and in short shift we were giving him a wave as we went past. It was at this point that I asked my very able pilot whether the Velocity rolled real well and, in front of the Mooney we immediately rolled twice with little hesitation.

All I can say (having already had my kit delivered) was that that flight well and truly confirmed my decision to buy a Velocity - and all this in the fixed gear version! Don't remember the look on the Mooney pilot's face....

In reliving that moment I think I have just re-enthused myself! 

Greg in Sydney

PS: had a good yarn over the phone with Chris Barber today (your yesterday!). Andy Millin kindly mailed Chris his permagrit long block and another wing smoothing tool and now Chris is sending it down here for me to use - between all my mates Dave Black, Dale Alexander, Jeff Barnes, Lloyd S, Jim A - it is indeed  an incredible thing to belong to the Velocity family. Can't wait to come over and see you blokes again!
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: John Dibble 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 11:21 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Aerobatics: Rolling about a point


  When I took a demo ride at the factory several years ago, a few rolls were performed with relative ease, beginning with pitching up.  At the time I expected that I would be doing rolls myself, but so far I have gotten sufficient enjoyment in just keeping my head on the blue side. 
  John 

  Terrence Miles wrote: 

     Hey.  Thanks Alex.  I understand that explanation better.  I know I have lots to learn about carnards.  I am filing your reply in my "ops" box, but could do me this last favor? Let me say it all back to you.  Let's just say that I am in level, unaccelerated flight at 185 kts and 5000 feet.  Let's also say to hold all this constant, I need +2 pitch on my attitude indicator. If I leave the power alone, then raise the deck angle to +10, neutralize the elevator, and than apply full left aileron, then you are saying that the carnard will continue to pull me "upwards" (that is 90 degrees from a line defined from cannard wing-tip to wing-tip.)  ...so the to watch me from an in-trail position I am sort of cork screwing thru the air?If I understood you right, can't this carnard factor be countered with a tad of down elevator (and not zero G) so as to keep the nose on a near constant spot on the horizon, and maybe roll-out back wings level at something near my entry pitch angle of +2 with little altitude change?Regards,Terry


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050224/f716da54/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list