REFLECTOR: PROP STRIKES
AnnSam
annsam1 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 09:12:01 CST 2005
I ran a two bladed prop for years that had only 6 in. ground clearance
empty, and never had a prop strike either on T.O or landing. The only time I
ever saw a prop strike was during a training flt. when a Velocity was
dropped from about 5ft. it nicked the tip of the prop which was repairable
and flown again.
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Tom Martino
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 8:41 AM
To: reflector at www.tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: PROP STRIKES
Is the potential for prop strikes present in all Velocities? Or am I just
more susceptible due to my airframe-engine combo?
I find with the short fuselage (Elite) and a big engine (IO-540), I can
not rotate much on takeoff. (I tested it with prop at lowest point, and
tilted the nose up). I can only rotate 5-degrees.
It is not as shallow as you may think. After finding this out I flew my
other planes
and found that I seldom, if ever, rotate more than 5-degrees
anyway.
However
it is a concern. So far I have not had a problem either
taking off or landing.
My MT 4-blade prop can only be shortened another ½ inch so I doubt that
will make much of a difference.
If this just a risk we all live with? Or just some of us? Or just me?
(The good news is
with that airframe-engine combo
I can attain 200
knots indicated
at less than 75% power
I suspect I could blow through it
at will at 75% power.)
Any info is always appreciated!
Tom Martino
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050221/8ae789a4/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list