REFLECTOR: Engine Mount Connection
Randy Wharton
rwharton at buckeye-express.com
Mon Feb 21 04:42:30 CST 2005
Darrel, How did shimming the engine so it centered in the hole affect the
thrust line of the engine with respect to the plane? I'm certainly not
anywhere near the point in construction that you are, but it would seem that
having the correct thrust line would be more important than centering the
crank in the cowl. The cowl can be modified....
Randy Wharton
N248RB XL-RG
http://occeng.org/velocity
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Kufalk
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:46 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine Mount Connection
Keith,
3 of the 5 bolts that came with the engine install kit were the wrong
length. Part of this was my own fault because I mounted the engine too low
and I had to make shims under the engine mount pads to "tilt" the engine up
to get the crank centered in the cowling hole. But I think some of the
bolts would have been too long anyway.
Darrell Kufalk
XLRG IO-540
----- Original Message -----
From: KeithHallsten <mailto:KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine Mount Connection
Bob,
What you said is subject to misinterpretation. There are also significant
triax buildups on the non-engine side of the firewall as well, which extend
onto the fuselage. These add a lot of the strength of the engine
mount-to-fuselage joint.
When I went to bolt my mount to the firewall, I found that the bolts that
came with the kit for this purpose are considerably (more than 1/4 inch) too
long. It makes me wonder if I have left something out! Has anyone else had
to get shorter bolts for the mount-to-firewall connection?
Keith Hallsten, XLFG IO-540
----- Original Message -----
From: SlvEgl99 at aol.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:28 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine Hard Points
On my XL the hardpoints are built up of Triax on the engine side of the
firewall. There are no "hardpoints" included in the kit, they are built of
Triax. One is top center and the others are spaced to fit the mount. Each
are several plies of glass (Three I think) about 4"x4" applied directly to
the firewall.
The IO540 mount fits on the rear of the firewall and the attaching points
are around the sides, near the edges of it.
Bob Wood
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: winmail.dat
Type: application/ms-tnef
Size: 8230 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050221/4a46a33c/winmail.bin
More information about the Reflector
mailing list