REFLECTOR: Main Gear Access Dimensions

Randy Wharton rwharton at buckeye-express.com
Sun Feb 20 08:12:06 CST 2005


Andy, Your keel looks lots like what I understood I was to be doing with
mine. I also found 2 great photos on Gilles Ross website at
http://www.immobilieretournesol.com/velocity/keel.html. Click on photos 196
and 197. His kit is an XLRG, too. I know that it's really not critical to
have the dimensions of this access cover exact, but I haven't started on it
yet, and I thought it would be best to do it by the book, rather than just
taking a swing at it.

And on the engine question, I haven't made a firm decision yet, other than
deciding that it will either be an IO540 or and IO550. I thought for
insurance purposes, I would rather stay with a certified engine. And since
Richard Riley has a lead on a 400-hour 540, I'm definitely checking into
that. I'm waiting to hear back from him now.

I followed an Ebay lead on a Continental 6-cylinder up on Saginaw Bay a
couple of weeks ago, about 200 miles north of here, but it was being used to
power a mobile hydraulic unit that was bought at a government auction. He
had no info on size, hours, or condition, and said that everyone who had
called about it was looking to put it on an airplane. I think he was asking
$2100 for the entire unit. He figured when he got some time, he would pull
the engine and put it on a pallet, and then auction the engine separately
from the other 3600 pounds of junk. Maybe he could get some info off the
engine once it was out of the unit. So if anyone's interested, keep an eye
on Ebay; it will show back up.

Speed brake! Oh yeah! I need to get back to that! Let's see, I was working
in the retract equipment so I could make sure it co-existed peacefully with
the speed brake actuator. I'm getting closer. I have all the wraps on the
gear legs, and I'm starting to work them into the fuselage. Coming up, the
transverse bulkheads, which don't look especially fun to do, but we'll see!

Randy

N248RB XL-RG
http://clik.to/velocity or http://occeng.org/velocity

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Andy Millin
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:49 AM
To: alex157 at direcway.com; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Access Dimensions

If you look at the picture you will see the keel stiffener bulkhead in the
keel opening.  I don't have the RG so I don't know how far aft the RG nose
gear actuator assembly is.  This is the aft opening and on my keel (a guess,
not a measurement) is about four feet aft of the canard bulkhead.  This is
not the cover that is forward of the control stick.

I use it to access the speed brake actuator.

You can see it in picture 264 on my web log:
http://www.kal-soft.com/velocity/

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Alex Balic
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:35 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Access Dimensions


Scott-
That picture seems to be pretty far aft of the location of the nose gear
access area- it is aft of the door opening-

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 6:14 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Access Dimensions


No thats for the RG nose gear actuator assembly.  I just had mine off
and on...

Those access holes are right above the assembly and absolutely required
for installation and maintenance.

In your quote of the manual it says the holes are premarked, are yours not?

Scott

Andy Millin wrote:

>Randy,
>
>That cover is for access to the actuator for the speed brake.  FG models.
I
>didn't think it was necessary for RG.
>
>BTW, did you decide on an engine yet??? ... :)
>
>Andy
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
>Behalf Of Randy Wharton
>Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 1:25 PM
>To: alex157 at direcway.com; 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Access Dimensions
>
>
>Hmmm. Maybe it's me that's missing something, but check out the photo on
the
>following link:
>http://www.velocityaircraft.com/photos/Keel%20and%20Control%20System/Genera
l
>/pages/KEEL-COVER-PANEL.html
>
>It's a long one, so if it doesn't work, it's a link to the construction
>photos on velocityaircraft.com. Click on "General" under "Keel and Control
>Systems". The 4th photo entitled "KEEL-COVER-PANEL.jpg shows the cover that
>I'm asking for measurements on.
>
>Here's what my manual says in chapter 6.1.2, (06-XLR, Jan 2005) Forward
Keel
>Access Hole: "There are two rectangular access holes to cut in the top of
>the keel. They are premarked on your keel at the factory. Cut the access
>covers." etc, etc. A few lines later, it reads "Attach the rear cover plate
>with 8 evenly spaced nutplates around the perimeter and one in the top of
>the keel bulkhead stiffener that will be installed later. The diagram just
>above this instruction is a diagram of both sides of the keel, showing all
>the access holes, covers, hardpoints, etc. Reference A is called "Front
Keel
>access cover", and reference I is called Main Gear cylinder access cover
>(RG). The diagram shows the latter access cover just in front of the keel
>bulkhead stiffener, whereas the photo on the website shows the stiffener
>about in the middle of the cover.
>
>The manual goes on to provide a detailed diagram with dimensions of the
>forward nosegear access cover, but no other mention of the rear main gear
>hydraulic cylinder access cover.
>
>I guess I'll spend a little time with the VCR and see if I can find any
info
>on the video tapes. I certainly don't want to cut any holes I'm not
supposed
>to, and that's why I'm trying to get all the info I can first. Thanks!
>
>Randy W.
>
>
>
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of Alex Balic
>Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:45 AM
>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Access Dimensions
>
>Randy,
>I have no such access cover- I have not seen such access on any other
>project either (maybe I am missing something)  only access to the
attachment
>point/fittings is through a 3"diameter hole on either side of the keel- the
>cylinder can be removed through the rear of the keel for service.I would
>think that removing  the top of the keel in that area would weaken it -
>since it is designed to act as a beam-
>
>Alex
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
>Behalf Of Randy Wharton
>Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 8:54 AM
>To: alex157 at direcway.com; 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Access Dimensions
>No, not the nose gear. The long access cover that provides access to the
>main gear hydraulic cylinder.
>Randy W.
>
>
>
>
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of Alex Balic
>Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:49 AM
>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Access Dimensions
>
>You mean for the nose gear right?    I think that Mark Machado gives the
>dimensions in the videos....
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
>Behalf Of Randy Wharton
>Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 8:28 AM
>To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>Subject: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Access Dimensions
>I'm working on the keel on my XL-RG, and I'm about to make the access cover
>for the hydraulic cylinder for the main gear. I think the outline of the
>access cover is supposed to be marked on the keel, but it's not marked on
>mine. Can anyone provide the measurement from the front of the cover to the
>canard bulkhead and how long the cover is supposed to be? I've looked at
>photos that give me an idea, but I'd rather do it by the book. But the book
>doesn't say!! Thanks a lot!
>
>Randy Wharton
>N248RB XL-RG
>http://clik.to/velocity
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list