REFLECTOR: -Preventing Drafts

Greg Poole gpoole at zeta.org.au
Fri Feb 18 18:42:33 CST 2005


Silastic is Dow Corning's trade name for silicon sealant Tom.

Greg in Sydney.
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Tom & Mo Falls 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:40 AM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: -Preventing Drafts


  Chuck,

  Forgive me I'm still learning . . . what is silastic?

   

  Thanks,

  Tom

   


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Chuck Jensen
  Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 6:32 AM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: -Preventing Drafts

   

  Chuck,

   

  I misunderstood where you were sealing your nose gear tube.  I thought that you were doing your rubber boot trick on the top of the keel where the elevator tube goes through, which is where I was suggesting putting the cloth boot.  I'll have to take a second look at the area you showed in your photo for a rubber boot.  Good idea.

   

  I have the air dam also.  I have the big hatch that spans from just in front of the windscreen up to within 6" of the nose, so the canard air dam mates with the underside of the hatch in my configuration--excellent place for air leakage.  Certainly not an original trick, but I got a good seal by stacking up layer (s) of silastic on top of the dam, covering the silastic with a strip of Saran wrap, then putting the hatch back on snug, but not tight.

   

  The next day, I removed the hatch, zipped off the Saran wrap and had a perfect conforming air dam seal to my hatch cover when I tightened down the hatch.

   

  Chuck

   

   

  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On Behalf Of Chuck Harbert
  Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:12 PM
  To: reflector at tvbf.org
  Subject: REFLECTOR: -Preventing Drafts

   

   

  To Tom & Mo Falls:

   

  Here are some not-great pictures of the nose gear seal. I highlighted one of the pictures so you could see the aluminum "U" bend piece (right side of pic) that holds the rubber boot to the floor under the keel. I used screws on the bottom and pop rivets on the sides. I can't get into this area to take a good picture, unless I remove the canard, but this should give you the idea. I did the install a couple years ago, so I don't recall the details that well, but it wasn't that difficult to do. 

   

  A cloth boot would work fine, as well, I'm sure.  

   

  Chuck H

   

  p.s. I assume everybody seals up the cabin with a air dam on top of the canard, right? 



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  No virus found in this outgoing message.
  Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
  Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.8 - Release Date: 2/14/2005



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050219/19942122/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list