REFLECTOR: Franklin Enging Mount

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 18:09:39 CST 2005


Hiroo,

My arm is also ground to clear the mount.  I also had the same problem with the exhaust pipe.  I returned it to the factory and they modified it for free.

Larry Coen

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Donald Royer 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 5:39 PM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Franklin Enging Mount


  The installation instructions that came with my factory Franklin mount called for grinding the arm to clear the mount. I did so and have not had any trouble with it. I had more trouble with the right side factory supplied forward facing exhaust pipe striking the engine mount. 

  Don


    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Hiroo Umeno 
    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
    Sent: 2/11/2005 2:40:56 PM 
    Subject: REFLECTOR: Franklin Enging Mount


    While having N21HV inspected and cleaned up, an A&P pointed out a potential problem with the factory supplied Franklin engine mount.  He has pointed out that the alternator mounting arm comes in contact with one of the support structure for the engine mount.  He is concerned about the engine vibration damaging the mount over time.  I remember discussing this with someone who suggested grinding the arm to clear the mount.  Has anyone who has done the Franklin installation seen this issue?



    Aside from grinding the arm, another thing I can think of is to shim the engine ¼" or so to give a little clearance.  Would that affect the flying characteristics of the plane since the thrust line will be very slightly higher?  I am doubting this since the engine mount location on the firewall was not an exact science to start out with.



    Any voice of experiences out there?



    Hiroo



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050211/ee81a2c5/attachment-0001.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list