REFLECTOR: Engines and High DA
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Feb 5 21:04:59 CST 2005
>I'd expect the most effective way to reduce takeoff roll would be going to a
>variable pitch prop, no?
>
Maybe, maybe not. There are wins and losers for an MT, the only prop
with a history and its checkered. You do gain in a reduced take off
roll. You lose in a 65-85 lb CG demon on the end of the engine. I've
been told to expect at least a 100 lb loss in net weight once you add
weight up front to get the cg in line. They break easily & often. They
are horribly expensive to get fixed. They take forever to get fixed.
Many on this list have more time on there spare fixed pitch then there
MT. You also loose 5 to 10 knots on the top end, something I don't want
to do. And of course there is the added complexity for flying and
maintenance.
> For a fixed pitch cruise prop a good portion of
>the blade is in stall condition until the speed gets up, and adding more
>power would mostly just make more noise. I'm just guessing here; have no
>data.
>
>
>
The data I have gathered says your wrong. Its not just noise. Its
called Horse Power. The density altitude alone here in Grants reduces
my HP by 20 %. I've been taking to a fellow with an E-Racer with a
TIO540, using a Catto Prop. He breaks ground in less than 1000 feet at
gross weight. With his old IO360 it was 2500 ft. Sounds like a goodly
portion of those 300+ HP are pushing it along down the runway.
When I'm at sea level my plane performs much better. Why, because the
engine is making 20% more power, if as you say it was being just turned
into noise I wouldn't see that big of a reduction in runway requirement.
I've talked at length with Craig Catto about this. He has extensive
experience, compared to us, about big HP engines with fixed pitch
props. Even turbo's engines with fixed pitch props. Its all about
designing the prop for a specific mission. My mission is to reduce my
takeoff roll by 50% and cruise 25% faster. After running the
speed/RPM/HP tests on my plane for Craig he thought it as easily
attainable with the TSIO520 running it at 60% power at altitude, and
90% power at takeoff. We'll see.
Scott
More information about the Reflector
mailing list