REFLECTOR: Re: FS2004 Simulator and Velocity Model

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Wed Feb 2 12:24:03 CST 2005


Thanks Ronnie,

Hey, I know you're already flying and now that you also use FS2004 -- any
comments or inputs on glide speeds, glide ratios, precautionary approach
patterns, and stuff like that for the Velocity and how they compare with the
model below for the Velocity on FS2004?

You may have missed my earlier post:  'Standardized' High Precautionary
Approaches'.  Jim Sower gave some good input, but the Reflector was down for
quite a while right when it was first posted and I think most people may
have missed it.  The people already flying must have some more good ideas
and suggestions on this (at least I think important) subject!  Are you in a
position to gather some real world glide ratio data using your GPS?

Bob
XLRG, starting electrical

PS  Maybe we could start posting Velocity-relevant stuff for FS2004 in a
special section in the Reflector archives -- freeware/shareware like your
Garmin simulation.  I tried the www.asim.com "XL-5" model earlier and think
the "Velov2" is better all around, at least for FS2004.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Ron Brown
  Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 12:31 PM
  To: reflector at tvbf.org
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Re: FS2004 Simulator and Velocity Model


  I'm attaching (hope you don't mind and that I don't clog up your mailbox!)
one Velocity model that I found.  It seems to fly and look the most
realistic, but it's not perfect.  For example, if while sitting on the end
of the runway before takeoff, you press "S" in FS2004 and 'slew' the
viewpoint around to what would be a wingman's position, you'll notice that
there are no landing gear visible -- it looks like the plane is just
hovering three feet above the runway.  The cockpit switch makes the gear go
up and down and that increases/decreases drag, etc., but the gear are not
visible in the onscreen rendering!  This shortcoming does not seem to affect
the way it flys.

  Bob,

  The Velocity model ( http://www.tvbf.org/docs/velov2.zip  ) you are using
was actually written for FS2002 and the gear and other stuff actually works
in FS2002.  For those of you using Garmin 430 or 530, there is some software
called FSGarmin which allows the Garmin PC 400 series training simulator to
be run with FS2002.  I use it a lot with the supplied Velocity panel
modified to reflect my own panel.  GREAT for IFR practice.   FSGarmin,
unfortunately doesn't work with FS2004 (which has better graphics, clouds
and much improved ATC but a lousy Garmin "500").

  There is another Velocity model for FS2004 on www.avsim.com called the
XL-5.  It has a pretty elaborate panel but the exterior graphics aren't
rendered very well.

  If you are interested in FSGarmin and have FS2000 or FS2002, let me know
and I'll get it to you (it is shareware but hard to find on the internet
now).

  Ronnie



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050202/5d3121ed/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list