REFLECTOR: Main Gear Emergency Extension

Alex Balic alex157 at pwhome.com
Wed Dec 21 11:17:13 CST 2005


Maybe even 6 seconds seems like a really long time when you are flying a
glider on final............ :)


-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:44 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Emergency Extension

My experience of dropping the gear using the dump valve is the same as 
Ron's.  The mains come down in about 6 seconds, followed a couple 
seconds later by the nose gear.

I've done this on the ground and in the air with no noticeable 
difference in time.

Scott


Ron Brown wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> Check and see if you have some sort of restriction in your main gear 
> hydraulic system - I'm guessing in the hoses.  When I made up my hoses

> the first time, I found that the fitting barb had damaged the inner 
> lining to the point that when I tested the hydraulic lines they would 
> hardly pass air.
>
> With the mains being heavier, they should fall out first.  My gear 
> will fall out in about 6-8 seconds and lock.  In fact, they fall out 
> almost as fast as the pump will put them down.
>
> Ronnie
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Harbert" 
> <c.harbert at comcast.net>
> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Cc: <p51 at hotmail.com>
> Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 4:21 AM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Re: Glide Ratio
>
>
>> Having survived a no engine emergency landing, I do remember that the

>> plane glides very well with the gear up, but sinks like a rock when 
>> you open those gear doors (probably 6:1). The other thing that is 
>> surprising is how long it takes to lower the main gear (the nose 
>> comes down and locks quickly). If you really want to practice this, 
>> time how long it takes to get the mains to lock, then go out and try 
>> to estimate when you need to start them down. It's way more time than

>> you think. Probably better to put them down at a higher altitude and 
>> circle to land to get the feel of the sink rate before you have to
land.
>>
>> The engine quit when I turned crosswind shortly after takeoff, and I 
>> just made it back to the field, but too little time to lock the 
>> mains, so I skidded in on the backside of the plane. Fortunately, no 
>> fire and damage was not too much due to an iVO composite prop. I was 
>> very lucky.
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list