REFLECTOR: painting

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Dec 15 00:50:02 CST 2005


Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: painting

 

Hi AL,

Sorry about the delayed reply, until this evening when I put a heater on the
cable companies equipment on the corner of my property, I have not had more
than a couple on minutes per day internet service.  Have you figured out the
use of the finishing disks or can I still be of assistance. Let me know.

Joe

 

Joe;

 

Good to hear from you again. What? Is it so cold it is freezing up the
electrons? Where do you live?

 

I have just gotten started with the sand/buff/polish program.  I got the 3M
"Hook-it II" 1500 discs and the corresponding backing pad for my Porter
Cable electric DA.  (Isn't it clever of 3M to reverse the "hook" and "loop"
faces on the Hook-it II so it is not compatible with anybody else's pad)
I've used a wool pad with Perfect-it II compound, and foam pad with Swirl
Remover, then the wax with pretty good results.  I was hesitant to use 1200,
or the 'extra cut' compound, for fear of cutting through the clear coat.
However, the 1500 and the rubbing compound won't get the orange peel very
well.

 

Yes, I could use any tips you wish to offer on using the discs - I just put
one on the backing pad (with an interface disc) and sanded the surface. And,
how concerned should I be about cutting too deep in the clear coat?

 

One thing is clear to me, using the Apollo HVLP over the conventional gun
has caused a lot more post-paint finish work, and I'm not sure that it saved
all that much in over-spray.  The atomization of these paints by the
conventional gun is definitely superior.  But the painting is finished, and
overall the job looks quite good.

 

I was going to take this off-list, but there are likely others who can
benefit from your advice.

 

Thanks,

 

Al

 

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20051214/1f64a31d/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list