REFLECTOR: 165 kt Gear Extension Speed
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Dec 5 17:52:57 CST 2005
Pat,
Many thanks for the story.
Just a few hours ago, I was looking at the gear and trying to figure out
a "easy", haha, way to seal the cabin where the gear legs come through,
sans doors. I glanced at the main doors and thought, "you know, I could
just really beef up these babies, and a couple more attach points and
have main gear doors and 165 knt extension speed."
So much for thinking...
Scott
Pat Shea wrote:
>Caution, long gear door story follows:
>
> Knowing that losing a gear doors is potentially (most
>likely?) a disaster of the worst kind in pusher, I
>decided to beef mine up a little. The main gear doors
>and attachments concerned me most. It just seems like
>when the gear is extended, a lot of surface area is
>being exposed to 120KT winds - especially if you
>include a yaw factor. The main gear doors are
>supported on one end by a thin tab that's glassed onto
>the gear with two bid on each side. Soooo, not only
>did I add layers of glass to the main gear doors
>themselves, but I also beefed up the tab. In the end,
>my tab ended up being about 3/16" thick and was
>glassed on with 4 bid having lots of overlap on the
>gear leg.
>
> What a moron I was! The day before the first flight a
>did some high speed taxiing and all went well. While
>inspecting the plane that night, I noticed that one of
>the tabs was cracked where it met the gear leg and the
>other tab had literally failed in the same place. I'm
>talking failed to the point where it was providing
>little or no structural support.
>
> After picking myself up off the floor the problem
>became obvious: the main gear legs are fiberglass and
>have an elbow shaped curve in them. This combination
>provides for shock absorption through flex. Since the
>gear doors are bolted directly to the gear legs with
>this curve in the middle they better be able to flex a
>lot! Mine were as stiff as boards. In fact, when I
>unbolted the gear doors from the tabs and raised the
>plane on jacks, just the flex from the weight of the
>plane caused about a 1" mismatch at the tabs. The
>force required to match the holes back up was
>ridiculous. On landing the legs obviously flex even
>further than this. When I showed all this to my test
>pilot we agreed to go ahead with the first flight -
>just without the main gear doors of course. I'm sure
>he wanted to ask me if I'd made any other "mods"....
>
> When I called Brendan at the factory he said he
>didn't know of any horror stories about gear doors
>going through props, but he WAS horrified to hear my
>tabs had failed. He said the gear doors are supposed
>to be (read as "must be") relatively flexible. BTW, a
>lot of the flex comes from where the gear door bends
>90*. And yes, I had beefed mine up there too - see
>attached pic. I ended up having to undue all that
>beefing up to get the proper flex back in the gear
>door and tab. When I was at Osh this year I checked a
>main gear door on another Velocity and it easily
>flexed by inches between the wheel and the tab. Mine
>still aren't that flexible but appear to work. I've
>got 100hrs and probably as many landings. Of course
>now I check my gear doors and tabs for any sign of
>cracking on every preflight.
>
>Embarrassingly,
>
>Pat Shea XLRG
>
>--- Richard Riley <richard at riley.net> wrote:
>
>
>
>>On Berkut we had the beefiest gear doors you've ever
>>seen - 10 plies
>>of carbon, full length extruded hinge (ms2001-6) and
>>no gear extend
>>speed. I've opened the gear at 200 kts. We had an
>>electric speed
>>brake, the brake itself was about 10 plies of glass
>>in various
>>orientations. With the brake out, the gear down,
>>cross controlled at
>>idle with a fixed pitch prop, I've had an 6000 FPM
>>rate of decent at
>>about 180 kts.
>>
>>Just a datapoint.
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>__________________________________________
>Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about.
>Just $16.99/mo. or less.
>dsl.yahoo.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list