REFLECTOR: RIGGING

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Aug 30 21:49:33 CDT 2005


I will second or third the "be very careful when bringing a rudder 
inboard".  Been that and done there..

After doing so, be sure to do a thorough flutter test by increasing your 
speed in 5 knot increments up to redline. Be ready to step on the 
rudders and pull the throttle if you feel any undo vibration.

Scott

Jim Sower wrote:

> On swept wings, rudder influences roll more than straight wings. I 
> would not worry about shimming the wings until I had the ball centered 
> with rudder trim (as you have done). It doesn't take much of an error 
> in winglet alignment to generate a good bit of yaw. I'm not sure where 
> you're measuring the 1/4", but you might be able to reduce that a 
> little by reducing the deflection of the other rudder a little. Be 
> SURE to NOT reflex it past neutral since that invites flutter. Be VERY 
> careful if you try to even them out this way.
> My .02 ... Jim S.
>
> Tom Martino wrote:
>
>> I am approaching my 40 hours (20 for plane, 20 for engine) … and I 
>> have finally gotten the plane to fly straight and level by shimming 
>> my left rudder (it sticks out about ¼ inch) … I glued a rubber stop 
>> to the inboard edge of the wing (where the rudder rests).
>>
>> I would like to check my reasoning here to see if I corrected the 
>> problem correctly and made accurate assumptions:
>>
>> When first attempting to fly straight and level with “hands and feet 
>> off” … the bubble was out to the left and the nose pointed slightly 
>> to the right and the left wing wanted to rise.
>>
>> I assumed this condition as caused by a yaw problem (rudder trim 
>> correctable) rather than a wing incidence problem.
>>
>> I figured … if it was just a wing-incidence problem, the yaw would 
>> not necessarily be off. On the other hand … a yaw problem alone could 
>> cause the outboard wing to lift.
>>
>> Since shimming the rudder was the easiest thing to do, I shimmed it! 
>> That correct the yaw problem and the wings now stay level.
>>
>> So here is my question: Did I make the correct assumptions? Could I 
>> actually have a wing-incidence problem … that is now being masked by 
>> the shimmed rudder?
>>
>> Had I adjusted the wing incidence … would that have corrected the yaw 
>> and wing lift problem?
>>
>> I know that this sounds complicated … but I simply want to know that 
>> I am attacking the problem in the right spot.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your opinions.
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list