REFLECTOR: RIGGING

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Aug 29 22:11:20 CDT 2005


Tom,

I would call Brendan at the factory to verify the procedure.

I thought and might be wrong, that you shimmed the wings to attain a 
level flight, and then corrected for yaw by shimming the rudder.

I remember also being told to reduce incidence in the light wing first 
before increasing incidence in the heavy wing.

one way will be a faster airplane, the other will be slower.

I'd call Brendan.

Scott

Tom Martino wrote:

> I am approaching my 40 hours (20 for plane, 20 for engine) … and I 
> have finally gotten the plane to fly straight and level by shimming my 
> left rudder (it sticks out about ¼ inch) … I glued a rubber stop to 
> the inboard edge of the wing (where the rudder rests).
>
> I would like to check my reasoning here to see if I corrected the 
> problem correctly and made accurate assumptions:
>
> When first attempting to fly straight and level with “hands and feet 
> off” … the bubble was out to the left and the nose pointed slightly to 
> the right and the left wing wanted to rise.
>
> I assumed this condition as caused by a yaw problem (rudder trim 
> correctable) rather than a wing incidence problem.
>
> I figured … if it was just a wing-incidence problem, the yaw would not 
> necessarily be off. On the other hand … a yaw problem alone could 
> cause the outboard wing to lift.
>
> Since shimming the rudder was the easiest thing to do, I shimmed it! 
> That correct the yaw problem and the wings now stay level.
>
> So here is my question: Did I make the correct assumptions? Could I 
> actually have a wing-incidence problem … that is now being masked by 
> the shimmed rudder?
>
> Had I adjusted the wing incidence … would that have corrected the yaw 
> and wing lift problem?
>
> I know that this sounds complicated … but I simply want to know that I 
> am attacking the problem in the right spot.
>
> Thanks in advance for your opinions.
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list