REFLECTOR: Smooth Prime
Christopher Martin
christophercmartin at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 12:49:40 CDT 2005
I had the same problem with my canard using smooth prime and top gloss.
There were very small bubbles the appeared under the paint which showed up
the day after flying in heavy rain. The paint was 6 years old and had no
previous problems and had even been flown in light rain without problems.
The bubbles appeared on only one side of the canard in a straight line at
the location of the forward spar to foam joint. I suspected that moisture,
somehow, got under the primer and migrated down the joint line. I never
suspected that it was a paint problem and am still unsure if it is as it
occurred on only one side of the canard.
Christopher Martin
christophercmartin at earthlink.net
> [Original Message]
> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 8/14/2005 7:08:14 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Smooth Prime
>
> A couple years ago I had to remove all the top coat and smooth prime
> from my canard. It bubbled when exposed to rain. I used Polyfiber's
> primer and top coat system and had the problem. Somebody suggested it
> was the propane heaters I used to heat my shop while painting that
> caused the poor adhesion,
>
> I don't know what caused it but I won't use it anymore.
>
> Scott
>
> Richard Riley wrote:
>
> > I've helped remove the Imron from a friends plane that used smooth
> > prime and NOT superfil. It peeled off in sheets, there was NO
> > adhesion between the imron and the prime.
> >
> > At the very least, in your position, I would switch to a primer that's
> > made to go with the paint you're ultimately going to use.
> >
> >
> > At 11:11 AM 8/13/05, you wrote:
> >
> >> I've used smoooth prime for my canard and control surfaces and my
> >> project has been sitting for about 1 1/2 yrs......... stored indoors
> >> and looks great. I found it easy to use.
> >>
> >> I'm now ready to do some more priming and find my self having to get
> >> new cross-linker (well know problem). I have been reviewing some of
> >> the e-mail and have heard some potential significant problem with
> >> smooth prime long term.
> >>
> >> I would like some help/ thoughts about smooth prime and if I should
> >> continue to use it? I seems that some of the blistering/brown goo
> >> problems may have been from superfil and not the smooth
> >> prime...........thoughts?
> >>
> >> Fred Vandeman
> >> xl - rotary 13B
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> To change your email address, visit
> >> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> >
> >
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list