REFLECTOR: Alan Shaw Wings Question

Fred Vandeman fvandeman at comcast.net
Fri Aug 5 12:08:53 CDT 2005


Larry,
If the end of the nylaflow  that you are looking for in in foam, you 
could
pass the cable (dress the end) through the inboard end until it reaches
the wingtip and out the end.  A thought....fred

On Aug 4, 2005, at 5:15 PM, Carruth, Joel L wrote:

> Larry,
>
> Ditto.  The rudder nylaflow tubing is in there... you just have to
> gently dig around for it!
>
> The rudder-horn hard point is attached on the bottom. Yes, you have to
> cut through the finished surface and then create a well to hold the 
> hard
> point and glass over with 2-BID (3?). Then tap the hardpoint.
>
> Before you glass, test different angles on the hardpoint. Not only was
> the cavity small in depth, but as the rudder rotates through its range
> of motion, the rudder's arm translates vertically. The hardpoint angle
> may have to be shimmed in order to get the vertically movement
> "centered" in the cavity. Also, I had to carve out some foam for
> vertical clearance. Be careful not to damage any of the carbon fiber 
> end
> cap.
>
> On the bottom of the rudder, this leaves a notch where you can access
> the screws for the rudder horn. Very ugly, so I wrapped the horn in
> plastic and then attached it to the rudder. Then I used two small 
> wooden
> dowels the size of the screw head with grey tape on it and then taped
> them loosely to the top of the screws. At that point I filled the
> "notch" with dry micro. After cleanup & removing the dowels, it is
> completely flush with the rudder (and wing bottom), with two holes to
> access the screws. This is very clean and the rudder horn is captive
> even if the screws fall out. Since it is now a slot, it can only be
> pulled forward out of the rudder when the screws are removed.
>
> Joel Carruth
> Lockheed Martin
> JSF - Pilot System Software
> W: (817) 763-4337
> Fax: (817) 777-8378
> joel.l.carruth at lmco.com
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Schweitzer, Bill
> Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 3:29 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Alan Shaw Wings Question
>
> Larry, I had the same problem on ONE of my wings.
> The bellcrank cavity was completely filled with slurry that had leaked
> in during construction.  If I had seen that wing first I would have
> really wondered.
> However, the other wing was not built on a Monday, so it was perfect.
> I knew what it needed to look like, it only took a couple of nights 
> with
> every grinding tool and file I could imagine to clean it out.
> Bill Schweitzer
> Std RGE,
> 90% done, 50% to go
> Ramona, Ca
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of lawrence epstein
> Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:12 PM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Alan Shaw Wings Question
>
> To anyone who bought Alan Shaw wings without control surfaces--
>
> Where can I find the outboard end of the Rudder cable conduit?
>
> Is there supposed to be a space for the Rudder bellcrank already (I 
> dont
> seem to have enough room for any mvmnt) or am expected to carve out
> addiional space?
>
> Where does the Bellcrank/hardpoint go on the rudder (The end is
> "finished"
> and there is an opening  level with the top& bottom wing skins) Do I
> just carve out some of the foam and glass it in and secure the 
> bellcrank
> to it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Larry Epstein
> 173FGE
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



More information about the Reflector mailing list