REFLECTOR: Major Outline
KeithHallsten
KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Fri Apr 29 21:31:25 CDT 2005
Terry,
I had LYCON set up an IO-540 for me with the LASAR system. When it was done, I went down to LYCON to watch the test cell run. They had problems getting the engine to run properly, which was eventually traced to a pin in one of the connectors of the ignition system being pushed out of position. It took several hours for these experts to find the problem. This illustrates one of the weak points of that system - too much complexity and too many connections. The certified ignition system is also plenty expensive, compared to non-certified hardware.
Electronic ignition has a couple of advantages that are compromised by the LASAR's requirement to run on magnetos as a backup. First, an EI can eliminate most or all of the scheduled maintenance items (mechanical wear) of magnetos. Second, an EI can use cheap auto spark plugs, rather than the $high$ aviation plugs, and get more life out of those plugs, since the hotter spark provided by an EI can tolerate much larger gaps. Neither of these is true for LASAR. Scheduled maintenance is just as frequent, but the parts cost more!
I am pulling for the E-mag folks. I think they have a great concept, and everything I hear suggests that they are making excellent progress on the development of their products. Early problems should be expected in any revolutionary product - the difference between the products that really create a revolution and those that fade away is usually whether the company buckles down and does the hard work of development to get the execution details for the product correct. It appears to me that E-mag Ignitions is doing the right things. They have made important improvements to their 4-cylinder systems - I just wish the 6-cyl P-mags were ready!
>From my own experience, I would suggest that you be realistic about how fast the build process will go. You don't want to have the finished engine sitting around the hangar with the possibility of corrosion setting in. Building the strakes took me a lot longer than I had anticipated. I have done everything myself, so it's been a lot slower than working with assistance. Of course, Malcolm will be able to advise you as to schedule. Writing the checks is the quick and easy part of the building process (if not entirely painless). It may be that the 6-cylinder version of the e-mag/p-mag will be available by the time you really need the engine.
You may just want to put in dual mags, then plan to upgrade to an EI when the market shakes out a little further.
Keith Hallsten
----- Original Message -----
From: Terrence Miles
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 5:26 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Major Outline
Hey ya'll,
I know this is not directly to the topic CHT issues at hand, but I have an engine cooling problem to toss on the table. I am trying to refine an engine order for an IO540k w/ Lasar ign turning an aerocomposite CS 3 blade prop. I'll have the top cut naca scoops in this XL and not the armpit cooling. Here's my question: Is there a best place to locate the spider valve (SV) (fuel distrib)? Concern would be trying to restart a hot engine on the ramp. My concern is vapor lock. If I put the SV on top of the engine it's hot up there, but the naca can then work backwards. I have seen heat air ripples coming off of them just after shutdown. If I locate it on the bottom face of the engine there is less hot air rising but maybe lesser ventilation? Anybody have any experience with this? I am favoring the top mount.
New 2nd question which is related: I am trying to give D. George a final buildup profile. Here my take on ignition. The emag/pmag folks only make a 4 cyl version of their stuff. Jeff Rose is selling the biz, so I counted him out. That left light speed and Lasar it seems to me. The lasars will revert to basic self generation for spark on loss of electrical. The lightspeeds do not. I am choosing Lasar. Whadaya think? In fact I already have a lasar timing box I got 2nd hand.
New 3rd Question:
Likely I will do the Nuckols Z-14:
Dual batts. I weigh 150 lbs and will fly solo a lot, so the dual batts are as much a CG fixer.
Dual alts: Less sure on this need. But if done, 20amps vs 8amps on the pad and 60 amps or so belt-driven
Bus structure: Work in progress.
Panel: GRT with one AHRS and 3 screens. Back up attitude w/ TruTrak. Back up ias/altitude w/ GRT EIS which will be panel mounted.
And now for a bit of humor from the new guy on the block.I hope to be in the air by Christmas. Thank you all very very much for the warm welcome and the brain drain I will be (have already been) for these 1st months. Anybody drifting through Greenville, SC, the front light is always on, and I just bought a new coffee pot.
Thanks,
Terry
XL RG-5
Wings ready to glass tomorrow
Bulkheads going in today
Hangar 18
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050429/92168785/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list