REFLECTOR: EGT Temps
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Fri Apr 29 17:51:52 CDT 2005
It's not so silly. I've got a Franklin. Sid had some questions about
intake manifolds and mixture, and the thread degenerated to here.
I always wanted an auto engine ... mostly. I wanted to tinker, but not as
much as the auto engine guys are. I figured I could satisfy my urge by
upgrading my Franklin to have one of the best, most reliable engines around
with a state of the art ignition and injection system installed.
Now I'm here. I tinkered an awful lot. I bought some books, performed
analysis, and played whatif scenarios. I bought a TIG welder, and learned
how to weld 321 stainless intakes and exhaust. I've done stick welding, but
that was nowhere near what I needed for this. I ended up buying a mill and
lathe. It turned out to be cheaper than having the parts shopped out.
It's a blast. I enjoy it a lot. At this point, I've got my instrument
panel in, all connected to the engine. In my system, an all electric system
the only thing not redundant is fuel injection. That's where I am now. I
machined a constant flow injection manifold, controlled by an 8051
derivative microcontroller. I've written lot's of psuedocode, and passed
copies around to my other programmer friends for their insight. They found
a few corners in the state machine that were problems, and now I think I've
got the logic right. I spent maybe six weeks on this psuedocode. It will
probably take less time to code it.
Many of the features I wanted in a system were not available off the shelf
at any price. That's kinda why I built a Velocity in the first place.
I don't know what my point is, or even if I need one. I can't wait to fly.
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Sid Knox
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 7:50 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: EGT Temps
Alright, all this is starting to get a little silly....
The originating thread was from John Dibble asking about a Franklin engine
in an airplane.
Not an automotive system. Not the yet-to-be-finished GAMI system. Not an
experimental, one-of-a kind system.
Yes, my Jeff Rose EI senses MP. So what? This is not what I was speaking of
when I objected to Scott Derrick's post.
So, staying on subject....
I (still) find ( Scott's) statement incomprehensible. (copied here for
reference):
> With some EI's you can
> run LOP with stock injectors because the EI can advance or retard
> to provide the best burn for that RPM and power setting.
>
> Scott
Certainly the EI can "advance or retard" but by it's self, has no capability
to "provide the best burn for that RPM and power setting".
1) the EI knows nothing about mixture.
Yes, it senses MP. MP knows nothing about where you have the Red Knob set.
2) the EI knows nothing about "best burn".
The EI is doing neither exhaust gas analysis nor "ionic cylinder pressure
sensing" and
has no clue how well (or poorly) the mixture is burning.
3) the EI cannot modify cylinder timing on an individual basis.
The EI, after using the inputs available to it (rpm, MP, temperature(?)),
fires all of the cylinders with the "calculated" timing advance.
Sid Knox
********************************************************************
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Martino" <tmartino at troubleshooter.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 8:37 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: EGT Temps
My ignition modules have MP inputs for this very function.
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of michalk
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 7:16 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: EGT Temps [heur]
Electronic Ignition, or Injection? I'm assuming Injection.
I don't know about the aviation units, but most of the experimental ones
can do 1, and 2 below. The SDSefi guys support aviation, and have a
couple of untits flying. They are batch fire, and don't do #3. The
Autronic, which I have does have per-cylinder tuning capability.
After I', flying and have worked out the bugs from most of my
electronics, I plan on implementing ionic cylinder pressure sensing.
Sid Knox wrote:
> I find that statement incomprehensible.
> 1) the EI knows nothing about mixture.
> 2) the EI knows nothing about "best burn".
> 3) the EI cannot modify cylinder timing on an individual basis.
>
> Sid Knox
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net <mailto:scott at tnstaafl.net>>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org
> <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>>
> Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:56 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: EGT Temps
>
> > With some EI's you can
> > run LOP with stock injectors because the EI can advance or retard
>> to provide the best burn for that RPM and power setting.
> >
> > Scott
>
<http://msgtag.com/?source=ffooter> has notified the sender that this
message has been received.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050429/ecb6cf80/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list