REFLECTOR: Engine failure

Dave Bertram v350tx at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 16:25:35 CDT 2005


I had the hardened gear on the distributor.  Dave B 
 
-------Original Message-------
 
From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Date: 04/27/05 03:19:47
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine failure
 
Dave,  
 
I have the same setup in my 4.3L Chevy. I am working on a crank trigger
setup with MSD, need to see if they have one for the odd fire that will fit
in my installation. I will leave the stacked reluctor wheels and pickups in
there just for backup. Do you have the same setup? 
 
I was wondering, did you have the stock gear on the distributor? There is an
old practice (contraversial too) of putting a softer brass gear on the
distributor on high performance engines. The idea is that it stops galling
on the gears (like the old oil pump fiasco on lycomings). The problem is, it
is also a much softer gear and can strip as yours did.  I put a Moroso gear
on my system, supposed to be strong, but not gall the cam/dizzy setup. 
 
Kurt
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Bertram <v350tx at comcast.net>
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:58:08 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Subject: REFLECTOR: Engine failure


The cause of my engine failure on Good Friday was not fuel starvation.  The
gear on my distributor had stripped out ( for no obvious reason) causing a
loss of all ignition to the engine.  Dave Bertram


 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf
org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050427/9bd4bae1/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list