REFLECTOR: Alternator Field

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Tue Apr 26 20:21:09 CDT 2005


Rene,

Do you have overvoltage protection that uses a "crowbar" short to kill the field by popping the breaker (when it thinks there is an over-voltage condition)?  If so, it may be that system to investigate.

Keith Hallsten
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Rene Dugas 
  To: reflector at tvbf.org 
  Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:25 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Alternator Field


  Dear fellows,

  I flew from Houston to north Louisiana on  Sunday.  My Alt. Field Circuit Breaker opened three times on the flight.  The Vision picked it up within 3 seconds.  I pressed it in again and flew without event for about 30 minutes and it popped again.  I noticed that the gear pump cycled at the same time(yellow motor run light momentarily illuminated).  I checked the bulbs on the gear indicator and cycled the pump without event.  No problems for 20 minutes and it popped again.  Pushed it in and continued to charge at usual 12 amps.  Upon landing no problems with gear motor running with strobes and pitot heat on at 47 amps.  Checked wire to alt. no burns or evidence of short.  I've been told the spring in the CB can get weak causing inappropriate opening.  I feel this may be related to my pump not being able to spin with significant slack in the gear play causing an electric motor unable to move condition causing a high draw condition.  Just a feeling.  I am not an EE!  Ideas on order of tests or start replacing parts - CB, wiring, Alt., Etc.  Is there a condition in the alternator that will cause this and can I check for it?  I jacked my plane up and my gear will cycle about each 20 to 30 minutes which matches the frequency of the problem.  I can not run it on jacks to test.  I had the CB open twice before in 250 hrs and reran the wire.  No problem in over 150 hrs.

  Ideas?

  Rene'





------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050426/3150b6b2/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list