REFLECTOR: Franklin seal leak

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Apr 25 11:51:43 CDT 2005


Hmmm.  That sounds a lot like what I used when I installed my seal.

John

Mike Deeter wrote:

> John......actually, I found that simple fix cured my problem immediately.
> It was just diagnosing it correctly that was tough.  BTW, I checked
> yesterday and the stuff I used was Permatex Form-a-Gasket #2b.  It's black,
> sticky stuff that stays soft and is supposed to be unaffected by the typical
> engine fluids.  Please keep me posted on that leak.....Mike
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of John Dibble
> Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 10:42 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin seal leak
>
> Mike,
> I checked my seal and I think mine is also leaking around the outer edge.  I
> doubt I
> would have spotted it if you hadn't pointed it out.  Thanks!  I did not try
> to remove
> the seal.  I made a gasket, but it didn't look like it would fit well, so I
> just used
> high temp silicone gasket sealant on the back side of the seal and on the
> engine
> case.  I flew 1/2 hour today and no leak.  I'll be flying to KS in a few
> days so that
> will be the real test.
>
> John
>
> mike deeter wrote:
>
> > John,
> >
> > Notwithstanding Steve's comments (undoubtedly correct)
> > I did try prying the seal out of its seat and applying
> > the sealant.  It's a real pain to try to get a new
> > seal over the prop flange.  I can't figure out how
> > you'd do it.  Also, you have a leak now; it probably
> > won't get worse if you remove the seal, clean it up
> > and apply sealant.  You'll probably be no worse off.
> > I was able to pry the seal out and work w/ it w/ no
> > visible damage.
> >
> > Alternatively, you could try my gasket fix.  It wasn't
> > hard and I don't see a downside, even if it shouldn't
> > be necessary.
> >
> > I forgot to check on the sealant I used.  I'll check
> > and get back to you.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list