REFLECTOR: smooth prime

Juanita Londenberg i.fly.too at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 20 19:45:26 CDT 2005


That's what I'm assuming.  I scraped out the softened
superfill and re-did it.  it has now been primed, and
sitting for about 3 months.  I'll have to check it
closely for any more bad spots.

Juanita Londenberg


--- Alex Balic <alex157 at pwhome.com> wrote:

> So the soured of the goo was the superfill, and not
> the smooth prime
> then?  
>  
>  
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Juanita Londenberg
> Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 8:12 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: smooth prime
>  
> After several months (years) of building we were
> ready to complete the
> sanding of the Super Fill and get it ready for
> smooth prime. There was
> an area of "brown goo" --  It had not been
> previously primed -- only
> filled with the Super Fill.    When I sanded it the
> first time,
> immediately after it had "cured", I did not notice
> any stickiness to it.
> But after sitting for months/years, it finally
> started showing the brown
> goo.  This was in a small area only. I obviously had
> not mixed the Super
> Fill in its proper proportions.  The other 97% of
> the airplane has not
> shown any brown goo......yet.
>  
> Re: Top Gloss paint:  When I called the manufacturer
> to check on
> available colors, they also told me that they were
> discontinuing the
> water based paints.  The reason they gave me was
> that people were not
> willing to spend the time to polish their paints to
> get a pretty shine.
>  
> Juanita Londenberg
> N4PE
> 
> KeithHallsten <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com> wrote:
> Oooh - that's bad news.  I have my wings, canard and
> fuselage all coated
> in UV Smooth Prime.  On the plus side, I haven't
> bought any Top Gloss.
> I'll have to talk to the Poly-Fiber folks.  One
> hopeful note is that I
> plan to keep my plane hangared; long-term outdoor
> exposure sounds like
> the major issue with Marc's problem.  I don't see
> where any "brown goo"
> would come from - the Smooth Prime sure seems dry
> and chalky when
> sanding!
>  
> Keith Hallsten
>  
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: Richard Riley <mailto:Richard at riley.net>  
> To: Velocity Aircraft <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org> 
> Owners and Builders
> list ; reflector at awpi.com 
> Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 6:28 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: smooth prime
>  
> You would be much better off to throw it out and buy
> a real LP primer.  
> 
> This is from Marc Zeitlin's web page - he runs the
> Cozy mailing list - 
> 
> http://www.cozybuilders.org/chapters/chap25.html
> 
> " 
> 
> Addendum: March, 2005
> 
> It has been brought to my attention that I still
> have the
> "recommendation" in the above page regarding the
> Polyfiber products.
> Having now had these products on my aircraft for 2.5
> years in an outdoor
> environment, I strongly believe that you should
> AVOID these products at
> all cost.  The Top Gloss has been removed from the
> market, due (I
> believe, although Polyfiber won't admit it in
> public, but have said so
> to another builder) to extremely poor performance
> when exposed to the
> environment, and the Smooth Prime can, in many
> cases, bubble and exude
> brown goo underneath the finish paint, also when
> exposed to the
> environment.  It also (in my opinion) should be
> removed from the market.
> 
> My plane's paint is chalky, chipped, and blistered,
> after only 2.5 years
> of living outside.  The areas on the underside that
> are not exposed to
> UV are still relatively glossy. The paint on the top
> can be wiped off
> wi! th your fingers.  Areas that live under the
> cover are also still
> glossy.  I will need to get the plane sanded down to
> bare micro and
> refinished within the next few years - what a pain
> in the ass."
> 
> Several builders have had Smooth Prime bubble and
> blister under LP top
> coats.  I understand Polyfiber now recommends using
> an LP or epoxy
> primer OVER the smooth prime, before paint. Given
> that, I don't see any
> reason to use smooth prime at all.
> 
> 
> At 05:28 PM 4/19/05, gattenby at GBRonline.com wrote:
> 
> 
> I was about to use smooth prime for the 1st time
> today.
> I bought it several months ago...
> When I opened the crosslinker stuff,  It was
> crumbly.
> Thicker than jello / softer than a gum eraser.
> But defanatly not liquid.
> I tried heating it, but it won't soften up.
> Acetone didn't melt it.
> Does anyone know a way to make it work?
> Anyway to salvage / use the filler part?
> 
> Perplexed
> 
> Noel
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
>   _____  
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list