REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Apr 20 11:32:05 CDT 2005


We are talking about two different things.  You are talking about 
indicators, I am talking about internally lit switches.

All my indicators are in a row high on the panel.  All in bright 
incandescent red.

Hiroo Umeno wrote:
> I was thinking of a scheme like the following.
> 
> Safety of flight items: RED letters.
> 	SUMP LOW
> 	OIL PRES
> 	OIL TEMP
> 	LOW VOLT
> 	DOOR
> 
> Precautionary Notices: YELLOW letters
> 	SPD BRK
> 	FUEL BAL
> 
> Informational: GREEN letters
> 	PITOT HT
> 	LDG LITE	
> 
> In general, under day VFR flight, there should not be any lights on the
> annunciator.  
> 
> No Light = All is well.
> Yellow = Take Note.
> Red light = Immediate Action is required.
> 
> For me, I would not want indicators for entertainment system, computer,
> audio, video, etc on the front - center in my line of sight.  The only
> thing I want on that location is relevant to flight operations.  I also
> don't want lights that will stay on under normal operation since that
> will train me to ignore some lights and I am afraid I will get
> complacent about stuff lighting up on my panel.
> 
> I am also planning on putting in a dimmer on the green light so that
> they can be dimmed during night flight.  No dimmer on yellow and red
> since they are the ones I really want to stand out.
> 
> Any opinions?
> 
> Hiroo 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Brian Michalk
> Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 7:43 AM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
> 
> The switches I posted can be internally lit on and off.  It's up to the
> user
> to wire up the indicator properly.  I plan on different colors.  Right
> now
> everything is red(off)/green(on).  Just pop the lens and swap out the
> bicolor LED to change colors.
> 
> I was thinking of a scheme like this:
> ON, and should normally be ON  - green
> ON, and should normally be OFF - orange
> OFF, and should normally be ON - red
> OFF, and should normally be OFF - blue
> 
> Then there are the "don't cares", like computer, entertainment, perhaps
> lights.  I haven't figured out what colors those should have.
> 
> There should be some good military or ISO standards for this sort of
> thing.
> Anyone know?
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Craig and/or Denise Woolston
> Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 11:45 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
> 
> Not completely sure.  You might be able to replace the legend cap with a
> "clear" cap and then with positive font see the label.  But that is
> another
> engraving charge.  My plan on annunciators was to match the military
> convention of dead font, negative illumination.  The only light that is
> in
> positive convention is the "master caution".  I like your idea though as
> dual use legend and indicators.
> 
> A friend of mine in a RV-6 offered up the counter to that which was,
> things
> that are set, are soon forgot.  His example is the fuel boost pump.
> It's
> great to have the indicator by the switch, but unless that indicator is
> staring you in the face, more often then not, you are 1 hour into the
> flight
> and remember you still have the boost pump on.
> 
> My plan on the pitot heat, autopilot on, high boost, start, was to use
> the
> AML31 switch which will illuminate when on.  And I can get a plastic
> guard
> for the start switch.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of KeithHallsten
> Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 9:15 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
> 
> Craig,
> 
> I would be interested in "DOOR OPEN" and "LOW SUMP" in red positive, I
> like
> the "dead front" feature for those.
> 
> I'm not so keen on the "dead front" for "BRAKE DWN" in yellow negative,
> and
> "PITOT HT" in green negative.  I have been thinking of placing those
> annunciators immediately adjacent to the associated toggle switches as
> switch labels, so I would like the legend to be readable whether the
> annunciator were on or off.  Is there another model that would provide
> that?
> 
> Keith Hallsten
> XL-FG4 in Roseville, CA
> 
> 
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Craig and/or Denise Woolston" <cdwoolston at verizon.net>
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 8:25 PM
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
> 
> 
> 
>>How timely.  I just went through getting a quote from the same people
> 
> Brett
> 
>>used (FMW Distributors) and the Honeywell AML59 annunciators are
> 
> reasonable
> 
>>(6.92 ea) it's the minimum (5) and engraving charges ($15 per label)
> 
> that
> 
>>are adding up.  But if a couple of us went in together we could offset
> 
> the
> 
>>engraving charges.  Do I have any takers, I'll put the order together
> 
> and
> do
> 
>>the logistics if anyone interested.  John and I need our soon, so this
> 
> is
> 
>>something I would want to do in the next two weeks or so.
>>
>>Here is our current list, but were open to negotiating labels and
> 
> colors
> to
> 
>>combine more orders.  Remember you we get 9 characters and either red,
>>yellow or green.
>>
>>RED Annunciators
>>DOOR OPEN
>>LOW SUMP
>>BRAKE DWN
>>ENGINE
>>
>>Yellow Annunciators
>>CAUTION
>>LOW MAIN
>>LOW ESTL
>>XFEED
>>
>>Craig
>>XL-FG5 in Palmdale, CA
>>
>>
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> 
> On
> 
>>Behalf Of Brett Ferrell
>>Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 4:57 PM
>>To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>>Cc: humeno at hotmail.com
>>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
>>
>>Hiroo -
>>
>>I got the Honeywell Microswitches from FMW Distributors.  They're a
> 
> little
> 
>>pricey, but they're nice.  I worked with Tyler there.
>>
>>FMW Honeywell page - http://www.fmw411.com/AML%20Catalog.htm
>>You can check mine out at http://www.velocityxl.com/Electrical.htm
>>
>>Brett
>>
>>----- Original Message ----- 
>>From: "Brian Michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
>>To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
> 
> <reflector at tvbf.org>
> 
>>Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 10:37 PM
>>Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
>>
>>
>>
>>>Let me clarify.
>>>
>>>Identical to each other, not the switch you referenced.
>>>I wanted all of my switches to be internally lit, no matter if they
> 
> are
> on
> 
>>>or off.  If you go with bi-color LED's, you can wire it up so that
>>>pressing
>>>the switch causes it to change color.  All of my switches are this
> 
> way
> 
>>>that
>>>drive remote solid state relays.  My critical switches, like
> 
> magneto,
> 
>>>starter, etc. are on a sub-panel that I engraved on my machine.
> 
> They
> are
> 
>>>not internally lit, they are the sturdy toggle type.
>>>
>>>________________________________
>>>
>>>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> 
> On
> 
>>>Behalf Of Brian Michalk
>>>Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 7:32 PM
>>>To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>>>Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
>>>
>>>
>>>Oh yeah.
>>>
>>>Those are difficult, if not impossible to find.  They also sell one
> 
> that
> 
>>>is
>>>exactly identical ... actually IS the switch combination for the ACU
>>>annunciators.  Expect to pay somewhere between $30 to $50 for that
> 
> switch.
> 
>>>I did the next best thing, and went with indicators and switches
> 
> from
> EAO,
> 
>>>or NKK.  They are the same size and look identical.
>>>http://www.newark.com/product-details/text/CD121/5093.html
>>>http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=728.pdf
>>>
>>>
>>>________________________________
>>>
>>>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> 
> On
> 
>>>Behalf Of Hiroo Umeno
>>>Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 4:20 PM
>>>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>>>Subject: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Hello folks,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>What have you done for your annunciators on the instrument panels?
> 
> Up
> to
> 
>>>this point, I had some naked LEDs mounted on the panel through a
> 
> hole
> but
> 
>>>they just look crummy.  I would like to put in annunciators with
>>>letterings
>>>like "DOOR", "SUMP LOW", "SPD BRK" in a cluster above my PFD.
> 
> Honeywell
> 
>>>makes the perfect thing but I cannot seem to find anyone who sell
> 
> them.
> 
>>>Mouser, Digikey, etc comes out empty.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
> 
> http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/prodinfo/manual/catalog/c30037.pdf
> 
>>>
>>>
>>>Does anyone know of a supplier for these (or something similar)?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Hiroo
>>>
>>>
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>To change your email address, visit
>>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>Check old archives:
> 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives:
> 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
> 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives:
> 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html





More information about the Reflector mailing list