REFLECTOR: smooth prime

Alex Balic alex157 at pwhome.com
Wed Apr 20 02:21:34 CDT 2005


Keith-
For best results, roll the smooth prime on as directed  -it will look
crappy after 5 coats like this, but will sand down perfectly smooth- I
had never heard of the brown goo situation before this, I have my
aircraft completely primed with SP and it came out really nice- the
rolling operation really allows you to get all of the pin holes filled-
will look into the epoxy primer under the paint though.....

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of KeithHallsten
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 11:04 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: smooth prime

Richard,

Thanks for the info.  I will have no difficulty avoiding humidity during
spraying - it's plenty dry in California's Central Valley in the summer
time.  What would you recommend for a paint system?  I have absolutely
no
spray painting experience or equipment, so I may contract out the
painting.
I need to know enough about the subject to specify the finish, though.

Keith

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Richard Riley" <Richard at riley.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:41 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: smooth prime


> At 07:53 PM 4/19/05, KeithHallsten wrote:
> >Oooh - that's bad news.  I have my wings, canard and fuselage all
coated
> >in UV Smooth Prime.  On the plus side, I haven't bought any Top
> >Gloss.  I'll have to talk to the Poly-Fiber folks.  One hopeful note
is
> >that I plan to keep my plane hangared; long-term outdoor exposure
sounds
> >like the major issue with Marc's problem.  I don't see where any
"brown
> >goo" would come from - the Smooth Prime sure seems dry and chalky
when
sanding!
>
> The exposure is certainly part of the problem with the Top Gloss, but
not
> the only problem.  It also permanently stains blue from a spill of
100LL,
> even if you wipe it off quickly, it chips if you squint at it and
crazes
> when the sun passes through Pices.
>
> The goo is a mystery.  It has happened with planes that have been
> hangared.  It seems to have occurred more in areas where there was
high
> humidity at the time of spraying.  It hasn't happened - yet anyway, or
at
> least that's been reported widely - with a plane that has a coat of LP
or
> epoxy primer under the top coat, but the sample size is really too
small
to
> know for sure.


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list