REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Tue Apr 19 00:40:36 CDT 2005
I wouldn't trust them with that much current. Mine are mostly digital.
20mA for the solid state relays, about 200mA for the mechanical relays.
I have an overhead panel with two rows of these. 22 gauge wire to
everything, then I have a master electrical panel in the nose of the plane.
That's where the fuses, relays, master solenoids, etc are mounted. I have
very few electrical connections to my panel, and I mounted my vertical card
compass in the panel, like everyone says not to do. With everything on, the
compass is not affected by the electrics, except for the electric prop pitch
motor. That one I wasn't too worried about, and I expected it would cause
an error because of the relays and placing of the high current wires. It
deflects the compass about five degrees, and only when the motor is running.
Voltage doesn't cause your compass to have error; it's the magnetic field
created by the current. If you twist your power wires to each individual
instrument, then you can minimize magnetic interference.
Being in instrumentation, it's amazing to see some aircraft wiring.
Everything is shielded. And mostly it's useless. I know why the manuals
say to shield. It's because they know the quality of wiring that happens in
aircraft. If people would pay attention ... no, just to understand what
makes ground loops, magnetic and capacitive coupling, they wouldn't need
shielded wire everywhere.
It's even worse on metal airplanes. Simple, use the structure for your
ground. That's sloppy electrical engineering in my opinion.
I've tried helping people with noise in their electronics, aircraft and
cars. Usually they want to fix the symptom rather than the cause. Oh, just
put a filter on that alternator. If it were properly grounded in the first
place, it wouldn't need that filter. Same goes for strobes.
Oh well. I'll get off the soapbox now.
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Bill Werner
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 5:58 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
Nice switches, but just 2A at 24V rating of the ones from Newark. Just got
to be careful how much the load you are trying to switch with these.....
Bill
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Brian Michalk
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 10:32 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
Oh yeah.
Those are difficult, if not impossible to find. They also sell one that is
exactly identical ... actually IS the switch combination for the ACU
annunciators. Expect to pay somewhere between $30 to $50 for that switch.
I did the next best thing, and went with indicators and switches from EAO,
or NKK. They are the same size and look identical.
http://www.newark.com/product-details/text/CD121/5093.html
http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=728.pdf
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Hiroo Umeno
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 4:20 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Source for LED based annunciator parts
Hello folks,
What have you done for your annunciators on the instrument panels? Up to
this point, I had some naked LEDs mounted on the panel through a hole but
they just look crummy. I would like to put in annunciators with letterings
like "DOOR", "SUMP LOW", "SPD BRK" in a cluster above my PFD. Honeywell
makes the perfect thing but I cannot seem to find anyone who sell them.
Mouser, Digikey, etc comes out empty.
http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/prodinfo/manual/catalog/c30037.pdf
Does anyone know of a supplier for these (or something similar)?
Hiroo
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050418/3614d426/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list