REFLECTOR: CANARD ATTACHMENT

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Mon Apr 18 17:47:09 CDT 2005


Sorry for the late reply ... just returned from SnF.
Regarding anchor nuts - these have limited cycle/uses.  A&P types, please 
help me out here.  I believe anchor nuts are meant to be replaced following 
3-7 uses.  Velocity spec's anchor nuts in several locations - cowling, 
aileron hinges, rudder hinges - in locations where a "Vise-Grip" plier can 
"re-ovalize" the anchor nut after too many uses.
SB

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: CANARD ATTACHMENT


> Dave Dent wrote:
>> I have a XL with a dog house over the canard.  This is a must, I wouldn't 
>> have a Velocity without it. This allows access to the two 1/4' bolts 
>> easier.
>> My bolts are with the heads facing forward.  I have removed my canard at 
>> least 10 times. If you mount the bolts the other way I'm sure you would 
>> be dropping the nuts and washers at least every other time into the nose 
>> gear well when you remove them.  But believe me it makes no difference. 
>> In my plane you could be looking for nuts and washers possibly for a good 
>> 15 minutes if dropped.   But in most aircraft installations you will 
>> always find the bolts facing aft and  outboard to inboard.  That way if 
>> the nut was to fall off the bolt would have a tendency to stay in place 
>> by its own weight. When installing a bolt remember this.  If the nut 
>> would fall off, would the bolt remain in place?  AC 43.13 also instructs 
>> this method.
>> Dave
>
> At Sun and Fun last year, I saw a Velocity that used captive floating nuts 
> for the canard attach bolts.  Or maybe they were simple nut plates? 
> Anyway, the benefit was obvious.  It's trivial to put those bolts in if 
> the nut is fixed on the back side.
>
> I wouldn't worry too much about the nut other than to make sure its a 
> locking type.  The bolt is in shear, not tension.
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 




More information about the Reflector mailing list