REFLECTOR: Franklin seal leak

Wayne wowens at darientel.net
Mon Apr 18 17:32:01 CDT 2005


I balanced my Ivo last month. First I tweaked  the static balance with a few 
lead shot in the hollow torque arms. It only took an extra layer of 
stainless tape  about 2.6 inches long out near the tip of one blade and 1/2 
inch on another blade to do the dynamic balance.
Wayne
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin seal leak


> I'll check the play tomorrow.  I did balance the prop a year and a half 
> ago, but since
> then I have been running without the stainless leading edge tape because 
> it wasn't
> holding up, and I haven't bothered to rebalance.  IVO is now selling the 
> thicker tape
> and I have just put that on and plan to have the prop balanced soon.  IVO 
> says that
> balancing isn't necessary because the prop is flexible and is self 
> balancing.
>
> John
>
> Robin Ream wrote:
>
>> Just out of curiosity, can you feel any up and down play in the output 
>> end
>> of the crank shaft, and did you dynamically balance the prop?
>>
>> Robin
>> ==========================
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 6:21 PM
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Franklin seal leak
>>
>> > I have a 220 hp Franklin/IVO prop with 370 hours.  Recently I replaced 
>> > a
>> leaking
>> > crankshaft seal at the prop end.  After 28 hours, the new seal has 
>> > started
>> leaking.
>> > Any ideas what is causing this?  I cruise between 2400-2500 rpm.  What 
>> > rpm
>> do others
>> > cruise at?  Thanks, John
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> >
>> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> >
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> 




More information about the Reflector mailing list