REFLECTOR: Grand Rapids Engine Monitor

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Sun Sep 19 21:41:28 CDT 2004


I have a XL/RG 1725 empty wt.  Aprox. 50gal. gas on take off.
IO-540 260HP
LVK is 400MSL
Climbing out at 2400 RPM
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Grand Rapids Engine Monitor


> What airframe/engine combo are you flying?
>
> What's your static RPM as you start to roll?
>
> What altitude are you flying out of?
>
> Scott
>
> At 02:35 PM 9/19/2004, you wrote:
> >Got some food for thought.  I have been testing the new fixed pitch Catto
> >prop and using the GRT. EFIS is great for this.  In the demo record mode
I
> >can get all the data and study it.  It doesn't come out as a printable
> >spread sheet data but as play-back where you can watch as you flew it.  I
> >can see right when I took off and the rate of climb and RPM's and MAP's I
> >was putting out.
> >
> >As far as the prop goes it is doing a great job of take-off and climb but
> >hurting a little on the top end.  I am seeing right around 172kts true at
> >2700rpm.  Craig says we can work on this to improve.  It is very smooth
and
> >quite.  I think some of the quietness comes from being two inches further
> >back.  But right now it is a real pleasure to fly in front of.
> >
> >So related to using the GRT system it is great. Once you have a handle on
> >how to pull up different minus.  I am still having problems with the HIS,
> >soon to master.
> >
> >----- Original Message -----
> >From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> >To: <amillin at kal-soft.com>; "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list"
> ><reflector at tvbf.org>
> >Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 9:36 AM
> >Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Grand Rapids Engine Monitor
> >
> >
> > > Andy,
> > >
> > > thanks for presenting my situation to GRT.
> > >
> > > I'll give Todd a call.
> > >
> > > I'm also waiting on a promised reply from Dynon. Their new Engine
Monitor
> > > is due to be released soon.  With a two DA10's you can have an EFIS
and
> > > engine monitor.  And pick your display for pilot and co-pilot
position.
> > >
> > > Scott
> > >
> > > At 12:36 PM 9/16/2004, you wrote:
> > > >Scott,
> > > >
> > > >Greg and Todd from Grand Rapids came down to Kalamazoo and
demonstrated
> > > >their PFD and EFIS systems.
> > > >
> > > >I asked them about the configuration you want to put in.  The answer
was
> > > >"Yes"  They must not have understood what you were trying to do.
> > > >
> > > >If you get the EIS with the Graphical display, you get 8 aux inputs.
> > > >
> > > >The fuel flow does not use an aux input.  The fuel level can only be
> > > >displayed on the graphical display.  You will be right at 8 with the
> > > >configuration you wanted.
> > > >
> > > >Manifold Pressure (1 aux)
> > > >Fuel Pressure (1 aux)
> > > >Fuel Level (2 aux)
> > > >Ammeter (1 aux)
> > > >Vacuum (1 aux)
> > > >TIT (2 aux)
> > > >
> > > >This is with the Graphical display.  It will not work with just the
EIS.
> > > >
> > > >Give them a call and ask for Todd.
> > > >
> > > >Best,
> > > >
> > > >Andy
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > >-----Original Message-----
> > > > >From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
[mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
> > > > >Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> > > > >Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 11:06 AM
> > > > >To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list; reflector at tvbf.org
> > > > >Subject: REFLECTOR: Grand Rapids Engine Monitor
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >I was seriously considering swapping my 4 cylinder Vision for GRT's
6
> > > > >cyl graphical Engine monitor.  I looked over the specs and realized
the
> > > > >aux inputs were limited and the standard ones were wasted and not
> > > > >changeable items like Carb temp and OAT.
> > > > >
> > > > >I asked their tech support about how I could make it work  with my
> > > > >instrumentation needs.  They replied that I would just have to do
> > > > >without TIT or some of the other items. Are they serious? They
> > > > >considered them not really needed like fuel flow or manifold
> > > > >pressure???  While I haven't completely crossed them off my list of
> > > > >possible's I think their product is definitely oriented towards the
> > > > >ultralight  and wheenie simple engine market...
> > > > >
> > > > >Why would they force me to display Carb heat when most new engines
are
> > > > >injected? OAT is nice but way down on my list for an engine
monitor.
> > > > >
> > > > >here was my request.
> > > > >
> > > > >  > I'm in the process of upgrading to a TSIO520 and will need to
> > > > > replace
> > > >the
> > > > >  > engine monitor I have now.
> > > > >  >
> > > > >  > I like the 6000 combined with the graphical display.
> > > > >  >
> > > > >  > However I can't see how I can display everything I need.
> > > > >  >
> > > > >  > Here's your built in functions
> > > > >  > 6  Exhaust Gas Temperatures
> > > > >  > 6 Cylinder Head Temperatures
> > > > >  > Tachometer
> > > > >  > Oil Temperature
> > > > >  > Oil Pressure
> > > > >  > Outside Air Temperature( I have one of these already, can it be
> > > > > used
> > > >for
> > > > >something else?)
> > > > >  > Voltmeter
> > > > >  > Carburetor Temperature  ( I won't need this, can I use it for
> > > > >something
> > > > >  > else like TIT?)
> > > > >  >
> > > > >  >
> > > > >  > Heres what I need to add ( 8 items)
> > > > >  > Manifold Pressure ( I'm surprised this isn't in the built in
> >functions)
> > > > >  > Fuel Pressure(same with this one)
> > > > >  > Fuel Flow( and this one two)
> > > > >  > 2 Fuel Level  Gages(using capacitive sending units)
> > > > >  > Tubine Inlet Temp (TIT)
> > > > >  > Ammeter(this should be standard)
> > > > >  > Vacuum
> > > > >
> > > > >"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> > > > >- Benjamin Franklin
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >_______________________________________________
> > > > >To change your email address, visit
> > > > >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > > > >
> > > > >Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > > >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > > >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > > >Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > > > >
> > > > >_______________________________________________
> > > > >To change your email address, visit
> > > > >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > > > >
> > > > >Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > > >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > > >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > > >Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> > > >- Benjamin Franklin
> > > >
> > > >_______________________________________________
> > > >To change your email address, visit
> > > >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > > >
> > > >Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > >Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >_______________________________________________
> > > >To change your email address, visit
> > > >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > > >
> > > >Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > >Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > >
> > >
> > > "Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> > > - Benjamin Franklin
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > To change your email address, visit
> >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > >
> > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >_______________________________________________
> >To change your email address, visit
> >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> >Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> "Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> - Benjamin Franklin
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>





More information about the Reflector mailing list