REFLECTOR: N992PC Gear up landing

Paul Calhoun paul at med-amb.org
Thu Sep 16 22:38:13 CDT 2004



-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Baker
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 4:07 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: N992PC Gear up landing

Scott B.,

"... this is not normally needed with a wooden propeller since there
isn't a "sudden" stoppage..."
Your point is supported by my observation as I walked the runway picking
up propeller tooth picks. There were no less than 12 swipe marks on the
runway. That would mean 4 prop rotations before the Lycoming got
discouraged.

  "...If the insurance will cover it, why not have the work done..."
I only have liability insurance - that is good news for the premium
paying Velocity group.

"...Let us know if we can help with the propeller repairs. Best regards,
Scott B...."
Thanks for the input, I will. And so appreciate the encouragement.

Paul


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Paul Calhoun" <paul at med-amb.org>
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 6:43 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: N992PC Gear up landing


>
> Yesterday afternoon I let down the Velocity community by not letting 
> down my landing gear. I owe each of you on the Reflector so much 
> through the great technical and moral support you have given so it 
> grieves me to detract from our credibility with another "incident".
>
> I was doing touch and goes in my new Velocity and was hugely surprised

> on the second one to find myself sinking lower and lower on the 
> runway. Only after the contact with the tarmac did it dawn on me that 
> the gear lever was still in the up position. I was amazed at how 
> "soft" the landing was and how little damage it did to the underside. 
> The MT prop is considerably shorter and there is a 3 x 4 foot scrape 
> underneath but the nose gear doors are unscathed. 28R has a new white 
> stripe down the middle.
>
> We lifted it up and the gear nicely lowered and locked so that it was 
> an easy matter to tug the plane back to its hanger. No oil or gas 
> leaks.
>
> So how did it happen? I installed an AV - 17 warning system which 
> orally communicates a number of warnings including gear up danger. The

> system was giving a steady stream of false warnings from the first 
> time we flew so I pulled the CB on the system with the note to track 
> down the problem at some latter time. In short, there was no 
> functioning stall warning system in place. Abeam the end of the runway

> I got distracted by my low  altitude and did not go through the GUMP 
> exercise. Nor did I double check for two greens on final. All totally 
> pilot error due to lack of adhering to routine flight systems and the 
> arrogance of believing I could do without a stall warning system 
> precisely at the time I needed it most due to getting used to a new 
> plane and having low recent hours. I have flown retracts for 15 years 
> without incidents I told myself.
>
> The emotional pain of the loss is considerable. The humiliation is 
> tough. After 5 years of steady labor, payoff was within reach. Now 
> some further delay. Again I deeply apologize to you the community.
>
> I suppose a Catto prop might be in order while I wait for the MT 
> repair. Also need to get up to speed on what steps need to be taken 
> with suddenly stopped engines from wooden prop strikes. The FAA manual

> on maintenance mandate very extensive (Draconian?) steps.
>
> Paul Calhoun
> N992PC IO540 XLRG, 10 hours on the engine.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list