REFLECTOR: RE: Captive cowl fasteners

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Sep 8 10:28:39 CDT 2004


Somewhat.

I would recommend them over standard screws, but there is the issues of the
retaining studs getting in the way when you want to slide the cowls on.

The studs are retained in the fuselage side, and it's really only a problem
up top where gravity pulls them down.  In that case, one needs to slide the
cowl in below the fuselage lip, then bring the cowl up to meet the lip,
pushing the studs out a little.  Once there, the cowl may be move around
until some of the studs drop into their recepacle holes.  Lock the top stud
down, and the rest follow suit with very little effort.

My top cowl is according to plans with 13 fasteners, I believe.  This is
along the fuselage.  Wings are at the hangar, so more fasteners there.
Right now, I can attach the top cowl within two minutes, maybe even one
minute.

Bottom cowl is even easier.  It's really nice to have the fasteners on the
work.  No groping around for screws while upside down trying to hold the
cowl in place.

I'll take some pictures and get them into the gallery.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Gordon Putney [mailto:CGPutney at msn.com]
  Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 9:44 AM
  To: Brian Michalk
  Subject: Captive cowl fasteners


  Any luck with subject Brian?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040908/7c39f49a/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list