REFLECTOR: Epoxy and Hardener

Barber Law Firm CBarber at TexasAttorney.net
Wed Sep 8 10:31:03 CDT 2004


I missed some emails in the last 20 hours or so,(isp had to reset my mail on
their end) so I missed a chunk of this thread , however, I have seen Gary
Hunter speak on a couple of occasions AND he was/is my tech advisor from EAA
and did my first build progress inspection last February.   He is absolute
that the darkening is NOT a problem (exposure to light darkens them, which
mine is very dark.....akin to tanning) and that most epoxies do not just "go
bad".  The rule of thumb of 1 year expiration is more for "CYA" (which, if I
understand it correctly has another meaning than "Call Your Attorney")for
the producers (plus it may increase sales to the anal retentive average home
builder who MAY be inclined to over think it and ere on the "safe" and
expensive side <g>.  Full blown exposure to air/moisture is a problem, if
memory serves, but most containers limit this to mostly a non issue.

If the chemicals start to crystallize all you should need to do is heat them
up and they are good as new.  Gary was quite adamant that you should be fine
as to structural integrity.

His only "issue" with my build was that I was using an epoxy pump. He is not
a fan and recommends daily cleaning and calibration.  He also stated that
for the average builder this is indeed overkill.  Of course he is building
record breaking craft.....I am not, nor do I plan to <g>

FWIW and YMMV.....I could be wrong (add your own qualifier here).  Have fun.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber
Attorney and Counselor at Law

"Serving the needs of Senior Texans"

Barber Law Firm
11930 S Sam Houston Pkwy E
Suite 103
Houston, Texas 77089-4755
281-464-LAWS (5297)


CBarber at TexasAttorney.net
www.TexasAttorney.net <http://www.texasattorney.net/>

Texas <http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001>


-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Jim Sower
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 12:01 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Epoxy and Hardener


Don't take my word for it.  Gary Hunter (last I heard was at
Glueguru at earthlink.net <mailto:Glueguru at earthlink.net> ) is probably the
best authority on epoxys in the homebuilt community - he's built several
(including a Long-EZ and I believe Pushy Galore) and was in charge of
the Shell Oil epoxy laboratory.

When Gary's talkin', we all need to be listenin'  ... Jim S.
  <>

John Dibble wrote:

>With something as important as the long term structural integrity, I think
an iron
>clad statement from the factory or the epoxy manufacturer concerning the
effect of age
>on the epoxy ingredients is in order.
>
>Jim Sower wrote:
>
>
>
>>Can't imagine why not.  IIRC someone on the canard list checked with the
>>factory and they said if you put the cap back on the jug it will be good
>>forever.  If years per jug is an issue, I'd have to be a sloooooow
>>builder.  Now if you was to put it in an open bucket and leave it out in
>>the rain ...
>>Let your conscience be your guide .... Jim S.
>>
>>Ronnie Brown wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>Jim,
>>>
>>>Does MGS have shelf life of greater than 1 years after opening?
>>>
>>>My EZ poxy hardener was fine for one year, then started getting dark,
then
>>>like molasses.
>>>
>>>Ronnie
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html





More information about the Reflector mailing list