REFLECTOR: Re: [Canards] Great Tire Changing Tool

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Sun Sep 5 16:25:42 CDT 2004


Tire bead braking.
I have been doing this for years.  Only on the large tires, have I needed a bead breaker.  But for the small tires like the 600-6 or smaller I use WD-40 around the bead then let it set for a few minutes and the bead will come loose. By just putting my heel into tire around the edge of the wheel.   On the nose tires I sometimes squeeze them in my large bench vice.  Of course a little kerosene will  do the same thing. That's all the WD-40 is with a little DMSO.  It is the only use I would use the stuff for around any plane.  Keep it off your plane, period.  
Leave the bolts tight while you brake the beads.  Remove the core to let the air out first.  This it the first thing to do before ever changing out the tire.  To make a valve core remover get am old bike tube cap.  the one with the remover on it.  I screw it onto a short bolt and squeeze it with some pliers.  I have had the same one for over forty years.  Still works great.  
Dave

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Ronnie Brown 
  To: Canards at tnstaafl.net 
  Cc: reflector at tvbf.org 
  Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2004 11:49 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Re: [Canards] Great Tire Changing Tool


  Here's the same changer cheaper at Harbor Freight ($29.95).  

  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34552

  And for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of removing an airplane tire - you can't get the tire off the rim by removing the 3 bolts that hold the wheel together.  You have to break the bead of the tire loose from the wheel first. (Don't ask me how I know this!!!) That is what this tool does.

  Ronnie
    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Flying Tiger 
    To: AACanards ; AAviators Canard 
    Cc: Michael Zwijacz 
    Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2004 1:21 PM
    Subject: [Canards] Great Tire Changing Tool


    Hi all,

    A couple days ago my LongEZ  buddy asked me to help him change his tires.  This is not a complex job but without a dedicated tire changing tool it's dirty, time consuming and for me frustrating most of the time, since it's usually not easy to break the tire loose from the rims. 

    For most of us we sit down on the floor, let the air out of the tube and begin using long handled flat head screw drivers with mallets or hammers attempting to break the bead loose from the rim as we move the flat screwdriver head around under the lip of the rim. Sound familiar?

    We'll a few years ago after one of my bouts with a tire rim I thought there had to be a simpler way. I remembered changing tires as a kid years ago when I worked for Mario Zecca's Cities Service station back in western PA. Surely there had to be a smaller version of a professional tire changing tool for aircraft and I found one. 

    I've been using this little tool for the past couple years and it makes tire changing a breeze. I bought it from Northern Tool which is a discounted web/catalog store and it's a deal at only $40. Once you've got it all your EZ/Experimental buddies will beg you for it over and over again. It fits most GA aircraft wheel sizes too.

    Have a look for yourself at the following site:

    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=13610&categoryId=0

    Tim LoDolce
    VEZE Truckee Tahoe
    EAA TechCounslr/FltAdvsr


----------------------------------------------------------------------------


    _______________________________________________
    Canards mailing list
    Canards at tnstaafl.net
    http://mail.tnstaafl.net/mailman/listinfo/canards_tnstaafl.net



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040905/73d4fee0/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list