REFLECTOR: Water Cooling

Joe jewen at comporium.net
Tue Oct 19 18:59:02 CDT 2004


Hi Al,
Sorry for the delayed reply, computer was out of service.  I would be very interested in the spread sheet.  jewen at comporium.net.  I am aslo interestes to know if you have any further info on the wing root radiator, how you did it, if you got the idea somewhere else, are there any other papaers or instructions floating around.
Thanks,
Joe
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Al Gietzen 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 2:07 AM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Water Cooling


  I'll just add one note of caution regarding the cooling air intake for the liquid cooled application.  NACA scoops, in general, do not provide the efficiency and pressure recovery of a ram scoop, and, although adequate for air cooling where there are relatively widely spaced fins, may not be adequate for the more dense matrix of a typical efficient radiator or oil cooler design.  Not saying it won't work, but be aware that in the original papers on the NACA the authors state that they are not recommended for heat exchanger application.



  If you are interested I can send you an XL spreadsheet for designing the optimum scoop inlet diffuser duct shape according to K&W.



  Photo of my version of armpit scoop for in-cowl radiator, and custom cowl for 3-rotor engine is attached.  I also have a second radiator and an oil cooler in the two wing roots.



  Al



  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Joe
  Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 8:10 PM
  To: reflector at www.tvbf.org
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Water Cooling



  I will shortly be working on installing a Renesis (4th generation Mazda 13b) engine in my 173.  I am looking for any suggestions on installing water and oil cooling on a 173.  Any and all experiences of what to do and what not to do are appreciated.  



  For those who have used Naca scoops (air cooled), where does rain water run off?  In the engine compartment?  If so has anyone had problems associated with water in the engine compartment, especially in the cold weather?



  On a slightly different subject, is the small fresh air scoop adequate especially in hot summer climates?  I ask because I am trying to decide what if anything I should do with the already installed Naca in the nose for oil cooling. Due to the oil cooler size and other considerations I will not be putting the oil cooling in the nose.  Before I glass it over I was wondering if I should use it as another source of fresh air in the hot weather.



  Thanks in advance for any advise,

  Joe







------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20041019/3f5434e0/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list