REFLECTOR: Help -- Franklin -- stuck in SLC

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sun Oct 10 12:08:32 CDT 2004


So if he pumps the throttle while cranking, this should basically prime?

If one is down by the carb, can you hear it squirting fuel?  Will the fuel
drip out of the carb?  Just thinking of how he could verify that he's
actually getting gas.

 Brian Michalk  <http://www.michalk.com>
Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done something.
Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and barely single


> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Laurence Coen
> Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2004 11:37 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Help -- Franklin -- stuck in SLC
>
>
> I have a Franklin with a priming system.  Even on days with temp.
> in the mid
> 80's I use about 2 seconds of prime.  This prime uses the
> electric fuel pump
> and a solenoid valve.  At 70 deg. F I use about 4-5 sec of prime
> and always
> fire up on the second compression.  If you don't have a primer
> them you can
> pump the throttle a couple of times.  The carb has a really stout
> pump and
> will do the prime job.  The bad news is that up-draft carbs can load the
> induction system with fuel and create a fire hazard.  Try priming before
> major disassembly.
>
> Larry Coen
> N136LC
> SE/RG-Franklin
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "wurzel parsons-keir" <wurzel at ccpu.com>
> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 8:39 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Help -- Franklin -- stuck in SLC
>
>
> > Hi!  I'm in SLC with a Standard RG with 6-cyl Franklin.
> > I've flown the plane for about 20 hours now with no issues,
> > (other than my landings, but that's for another post!) but today
> > when we went to start up it just wouldn't.  The engine has 600
> > hours on it, and hasn't needed any major service recently.
> >
> > First I tried starting with the normal procedure
> > (mixture rich, throttle full, fuel pump on until I see pressure,
> > fuel pump off, throttle just cracked, mags on, crank away).
> > The prop spins really well (good battery, good starter) and
> > I can hear the impulse mags clicking away, but I don't
> > hear anything that sounds like ignition.  After about
> > 30 seconds of that, I gave it a rest for a while.
> >
> > Next try, thinking maybe I flooded it, so I left mixture
> > cutoff, went full-throttle, and cranked a while.  Normally
> > I'd expect to hear the engine fire for a bit and then peter
> > out unless I push the mixture on... but again, no ignition
> > noises.
> >
> > Still thinking maybe it was flooded, we went to lunch for
> > 1.5 hours, came back and again tried the standard start procedure,
> > still no detectable engine firing, just spinning and clicking.
> >
> > Anyone out there who is flying a Franklin have any advice?
> > Is there a "high altitude" start procedure (4300 feet, 21degC)?
> >
> > If a Franklin is flooded, any advice for un-flooding?
> >
> > It sounds kind of like trying to start it with both mags grounded
> > or something, but I can't imagine how both of my P-leads could
> > have been grounded accidentally at the same time.
> >
> > I sumped the tank and verified it's good fuel, I inspected the
> > ignition harness and I don't see any chafing or anything.
> > I verified the throttle and mixture arms are attached and moving
> > fine.  Fuel pressure looks good with the electronic pump and
> > also with the engine pump while cranking.
> >
> > The only things I can think of now are finding a voltmeter
> > somewhere and checking the P leads for grounding (does a simple
> > continuity test to ground work?) and/or pulling out filter
> > screens in the carb to see if they're clogged.  Is there any
> > other simple way to verify presence of spark?  Is there anything
> > I could have done running too rich or too lean that would
> > have fouled all my plugs this badly?  After we landed, the
> > engine seemed to be idling fine as we taxied in.
> >
> > Any other thoughts or ideas on diagnosing this (especially
> > with minimal tools) would be greatly appreciated!  If I
> > can get out of Million-air's hangar before 8am Monday,
> > maybe they won't charge me; otherwise I'll probably have
> > to have one of their A&Ps help me in return for renting
> > the space, as it were.
> >
> > Many thanks!
> > -wurzel
> > flying Rick's N570!
> > WooHoo!
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list