REFLECTOR: WING BOLTS

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Sat Oct 9 19:28:16 CDT 2004


Hello,
 
I am sooooo close to flying ... but little things keep popping up.
 
Today we were attaching the wings and ran into some difficulty.
 
I used factory supplied bolts (which only have one one-half inch of
threads.  As instructed, I used two washers - one on each end, then
attempted to tighten down the lock nut.  BUT ... after tightening the
bolts all the way down and running out of thread, the bolts still
rotated in the holes and the wings were not snug. 
 
As a solution, I added one washer to each bolt.  This made it possible
to snug down the wing and torque the bolts as recommended (30 to 40 ft.
lbs).  It also made the bolts good and tight with no rotation.  However,
the bolt tips are now even with the lock nut and do not extend through
the end.  I was always told that you need at least three threads
sticking beyond the end of the lock nut.  Is this going to be a problem?
 
The only way I can get three threads beyond the lock nut is to use bolts
that have more threads on them.
 
Many of you have moved past this point ... so your help and advice would
be greatly appreciated.
 
Tom     
 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20041009/dcb7e4ea/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list