REFLECTOR: Matco Brakes

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Fri Oct 8 20:01:56 CDT 2004


Al,

Actually, the 323 Compound brakes use the same bolt pattern.

Keith


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Al Gietzen" <ALVentures at cox.net>
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 10:56 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Matco Brakes


Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Matco Brakes

I had a chat with George Happ (nice guy).  He suggested for the standard
Velocity the earlier version (pre-2001) was OK with the 1 ½" pistons.  The
earlier versions were either 1 ¼" pistons and "correct" geometry, or 1 ½" in
which the force caused a bending of the caliper and uneven force of the pad
on the rotor.  I don't know yet which I have.  One interesting point was
that the 1 ½" has more holding power, but not any more energy absorption
capability.



He felt the main issue with the 1 ¼" version was that the master cylinder
used was not a good match, so it takes very large pedal pressure to get
enough force on the pad.  Since the force goes as the square of the puck
diameter, the 1 ½" gives about a 30% increase in pad force for the same
pedal pressure.



Anybody running the early 1 ¼" version, and quite happy with them?



I didn't ask, but I assume the 323 compound is a different mounting
configuration.



Al



  Al,



     I unerstand that the original matco Brakes from a few years ago were a
little light for the larger models,  Re: to Velocity Veiws Volume 12, pg 12.
I up graded mine to the newer 323 compond and used it once on my XL-RG and
felt it was still a little weak and hot, so I changed to Cleveland and am
very happy. I beleive the smaller lighter Velocity have no probem with the
Matco compond 323. since I only used my Matco's one just for my fist high
speed taxi them are in good shape and up for sale. Any offer's.

Brakes and wheels



  Fred Rice

fredrice @sunstonewinery.com






----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----


> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list