REFLECTOR: Yoke vs. Stick

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Tue Nov 30 22:41:35 CST 2004


<... would be easier to manage the radio stack ... with your right hand 
free ...>

I'm going to put my autopilot engage switch on the stick so I can engage 
the wing leveler just before reaching for the radios (in the event I'm 
not already tracking something).
All the real airplanes I've flown have sticks ... Jim S.

Carruth, Joel L wrote:

>I know the current system works, but I guess I'm used to the
>"conventional" cockpit layout - yoke in left, throttle in right.
>However, there is some wisdom in this layout since you can reach more
>panel area with your right-hand than your left without moving your upper
>body. 
>
>Also, it seems like it would be easier to manage the radio stack (dual
>COMMM/NAVs, a GPS, and a xpdr) with your right hand free... especially
>flying IFR. I do plan to have an autopilot, but sometimes you need to
>keep a hand in things! 
>
>However, a $1000 for the yoke upgrade weighs heavily against this
>change!!
>
>Joel Carruth
>Lockheed Martin 
>JSF - Pilot System Software
>W: (817) 763-4337
>Fax: (817) 777-8378
>joel.l.carruth at lmco.com
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of Scott Derrick
>Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 4:00 PM
>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Yoke vs. Stick
>
>Why would you want to??
>
>I find the stick very comfortable..
>
>  
>
>>Has anyone converted to the Yoke system supplied by Velocity?
>>
>>
>>
>>Was the conversion from a stick complicated?  Is it a ripple change to
>>other components like the "S" type elevator trim?
>>
>>I have seen a lot of posts about reducing slop in the stick system, so
>>    
>>
>I
>  
>
>>was wondering if the Yoke introduced more slop in the system due to
>>increased parts count?
>>
>>
>>
>>Thanks!
>>    
>>



More information about the Reflector mailing list