REFLECTOR: Main Gear Hydraulic Cylinder/ Speed Brake

Kufalk kufalk at wi.rr.com
Sun Nov 7 21:47:27 CST 2004


Randy,

The main gear cylinder MUST be fully extended when the main gear are down
and locked.  The pump will extend the cylinder all the way when it is run in
the down direction.  You do not want any slack in the cables when the
cylinder is fully extended.

I was able to move my cylinder aft about 1-1/2" to allow room for the speed
brake actuator.  Instead of replacing the factory installed aft hardpoint I
made a small offset plate out of 1/4" x 2" aluminum bar stock.  Then I moved
the front cylinder hardpoint aft about 10" (just behind the speed brake
hole).  Then I made a 10" offset plate to attach the cylinder to.  I spun
around the attach brackets and made 2 spacers to keep the cylinder centered.
(See attached picture).

I am not flying yet but I have run the gear up and down at least 100 times
and it always works.  This may not be the lightest solution but it is
definitely strong.

Darrell Kufalk




----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Randy Wharton" <rwharton at buckeye-express.com>
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 8:04 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Main Gear Hydraulic Cylinder/ Speed Brake


> I'm putting a speed brake in my XL-RG during the build process, and I
> had previously gotten info that if I mount the main gear hydraulic
> cylinder just behind the speed brake, there is still enough room
> behind the cylinder to get the system to work. Well I'm at the point
> where I need to put the MG hard points in, and I'd just like to make
> sure that I'm going not going to do something I'll regret. I can't
> really know how much throw I need in the cylinder unless I go ahead
> and completely mount the gear legs and mount all the hardware.
>
> It looks like mounting the forward end of the cylinder immediately
> behind the speed brake will not allow the cylinder to extend fully.
> But does it need to? How much throw is needed to pull the gear all
> the way up? And if anyone has any photos or sketches or measurements,
> that would really be helpful. I know that putting the speed brake on
> an RG has been done, I'd just feel better if someone could reassure
> me that mounting the cylinder immediately behind the speed brake will
> work out ok. Tanks for your help.
>
> Randy and Becky Wharton
> N248RB XL-RG
> http://clik.to/velocity
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 51.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 62024 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20041107/ff5fdd49/51-0001.jpg


More information about the Reflector mailing list