REFLECTOR:High Speed Jitters

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 30 May 2004 21:28:52 EDT


-------------------------------1085966932
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Maybe flutter, though if it were it would likely be more vigorous and rapid, 
not just as if the canard was stalling. 

I experienced elevator flutter at higher air speeds, I had failed to 
rebalance following painting. After doing that, stability returned. 

The first time it happened I tried to blame it on turbulence, then perhaps 
vortex turbulence from an earlier aircraft. I could see the canard flex up and 
down a couple inches. It was not too vigorous and stopped as soon as I laid a 
hand on the stick. I had been changing frequencies so had my hand away.

Finally after the second incident,  which was quite a bit more vigorous, I 
talking to Scott Swing. After considering his thoughts I decided that I needed 
to take some action. I removed the canard and wound up adding two more lead 
weights to the center of the elevator to get the balance correct.

Have had no recurring incident, though I have tried to induce it at various 
airspeeds. 

Bob Wood

-------------------------------1085966932
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUS-ASCII http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; cha=
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffff=
f">
<DIV>Maybe flutter, though if it were it would likely be more vigorous and r=
apid, not just as if&nbsp;the canard was stalling.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I experienced elevator flutter at higher air speeds, I had failed to re=
balance following painting. After doing that, stability returned.&nbsp;</DIV=
>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The first time it happened I tried to blame it on turbulence, then perh=
aps vortex turbulence from an earlier aircraft. I could see the canard flex=20=
up&nbsp;and down&nbsp;a&nbsp;couple&nbsp;inches. It was not too vigorous and=
 stopped as soon as I laid a hand on the stick. I had been changing frequenc=
ies so had my hand away.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Finally after the second incident,&nbsp; which was quite a bit more vig=
orous,&nbsp;I talking to Scott Swing. After considering his thoughts&nbsp;I=20=
decided that I needed to take some action. I removed the canard and wound up=
 adding two more lead weights to the center of the elevator to get the balan=
ce correct.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Have had no recurring incident, though I have tried to induce it at var=
ious airspeeds.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Bob Wood</DIV></BODY></HTML>

-------------------------------1085966932--