REFLECTOR:Confession Week!!!
Chuck Jensen
reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 29 May 2004 08:58:12 -0400
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
------_=_NextPart_001_01C4457C.9E31CF20
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
I had a gear-down incident also. Not long after acquiring a Velo, and
before developing a "feel" for the plane, I was coming back from NEW. I was
a little distracted by some potential IFR between me and the Volunteer
state. As I was climbing out, I had a "sense" that there was a
rumble-vibration to the plane and it seemed slow to pickup full cruise
speed. Those abnormalities resolved themselves about 30 miles out.
Fortunately, my passenger, who was unfamiliar with the Velo or other planes
generally, never took notice that he was flying with a pilot whose IQ was
markedly less than the octane of his fuel.
Chuck
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
Ronnie Brown
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 7:01 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Confession Week!!!
Speaking of Gear Up's, How about a Gear Down!
I took off one morning to fly chase for Phil Vaughn's first flight in his
XL. I flew the 30 minutes over to Burlington, NC in no big hurry, enjoying
the scenery. When I entered the downwind, I flipped the gear switch, and
confusion set in. Why didn't the green down lights come on after the gear
pump ran and cut off? Then I hit the gear reset switch. Nothing. After a
few frantic seconds, I finally figured it out. I had taken off from Lake
Norman Airpark and I never raised the gear. I flew all the way with the
gear hanging out. When I got in the down wind, I flipped the switch and the
gear came up! After muttering "Dumb A___", I flipped the gear switch back
down.
Yeah, Nathan, I have the post take off procedure on the panel, Gear Up, Fuel
Pump Off, Cruise Climb. But now I try to remember to USE IT!!!
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: Al Gietzen <mailto:ALVentures@cox.net>
To: reflector@tvbf.org <mailto:reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 9:04 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Confession Week!!!
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Confession Week!!!
> Aw, I think we ought to have one week of confessions!!!
How about a "gear up" landing - in the garage!!
I didn't think I would ever tell anybody this, but looking back on it, it is
so-o-o stupid as to be funny; and hard to top.
This was fortunately with no wings and no engine. I was doing something on
the plane (don't remember what) that led me to want one of the main gear up.
I grabbed the jack stand; put it under the spar near the outboard end of the
strake, and jacked until the wheel was off. I proceeded to climb into the
back of the plane to lift the gear latch to unlock the gear. WHAMB-BAM!
Uh-huh. Those of you with RGs know - the latch locks both gear. There it
was; down on the concrete - nose gear extended.
Fortunately, other the incredible surprise, and bruised ego, there was
little damage. As soon as the gear collapsed, the other side came off the
jack stand. The end of one strake hit first and then the bottom of the
fuselage. Just a very slight deformation under the end of the strake spar;
and a smashed end of the fuel vent tube that extended out bottom. No
injuries to the occupant. It's a sturdy airframe.
You know what they say about retract drivers - there are those who have
landed "gear-up", those that will. I've already done mine.
Al
Anybody want to go flying with me?
------_=_NextPart_001_01C4457C.9E31CF20
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE>@font-face {
font-family: Verdana;
}
@font-face {
font-family: Nimrod;
}
@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 62.3pt 1.0in 62.3pt; }
P.MsoNormal {
FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
LI.MsoNormal {
FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
A:link {
COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
A:visited {
COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
P.MsoPlainText {
FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: Nimrod
}
LI.MsoPlainText {
FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: Nimrod
}
DIV.MsoPlainText {
FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: Nimrod
}
DIV.Section1 {
page: Section1
}
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY lang=EN-US vLink=purple link=blue bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=093053611-29052004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>I had
a gear-down incident also. Not long after acquiring a Velo, and before
developing a "feel" for the plane, I was coming back from NEW. I was a
little distracted by some potential IFR between me and the Volunteer
state. As I was climbing out, I had a "sense" that there was a
rumble-vibration to the plane and it seemed slow to pickup full cruise
speed. Those abnormalities resolved themselves about 30 miles out.
Fortunately, my passenger, who was unfamiliar with the Velo or other planes
generally, never took notice that he was flying with a pilot whose IQ was
markedly less than the octane of his fuel.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=093053611-29052004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=093053611-29052004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=093053611-29052004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=093053611-29052004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org
[mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Ronnie
Brown<BR><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, May 29, 2004 7:01 AM<BR><B>To:</B>
reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Confession
Week!!!<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Speaking of Gear Up's, How about a Gear
Down!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I took off one morning to fly chase for Phil Vaughn's first
flight in his XL. I flew the 30 minutes over to Burlington, NC in no big
hurry, enjoying the scenery. When I entered the downwind, I flipped the
gear switch, and confusion set in. Why didn't the green down lights come
on after the gear pump ran and cut off? Then I hit the gear reset
switch. Nothing. After a few frantic seconds, I finally figured it
out. I had taken off from Lake Norman Airpark and I never raised the
gear. I flew all the way with the gear hanging out. When I got in
the down wind, I flipped the switch and the gear came up! After muttering
"Dumb A___", I flipped the gear switch back down.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Yeah, Nathan, I have the post take off procedure on the panel,
Gear Up, Fuel Pump Off, Cruise Climb. But now I try to remember to USE
IT!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV
style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
<A title=ALVentures@cox.net href="mailto:ALVentures@cox.net">Al Gietzen</A>
</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=reflector@tvbf.org
href="mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, May 28, 2004 9:04 PM</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:Confession
Week!!!</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV class=Section1>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Nimrod size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Confession
Week!!!</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Nimrod size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt"></SPAN></FONT> </P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Nimrod size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt">> Aw, I think we ought to have one week of
confessions!!!</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Nimrod size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt"></SPAN></FONT> </P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">How about a "gear up" landing -
in the garage!!</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I didn't think I
would ever tell anybody this, but looking back on it, it is so-o-o stupid as
to be funny; and hard to top.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"></SPAN></FONT> </P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">This was
fortunately with no wings and no engine. I was doing something on the plane
(don't remember what) that led me to want one of the main gear up. I
grabbed the </SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Verdana color=black><SPAN
style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">jack</SPAN></FONT><FONT
face=Verdana color=black><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">
stand; put it under the spar near the outboard end of the strake, and
</SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Verdana color=black><SPAN
style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">jack</SPAN></FONT><FONT
face=Verdana color=black><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">ed
until the wheel was off. I proceeded to climb into the back of the plane
to lift the gear latch to unlock the gear. WHAMB-BAM!
Uh-huh. Those of you with RGs know - the latch locks both gear.
There it was; down on the concrete - nose gear extended.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"></SPAN></FONT> </P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Fortunately, other
the incredible surprise, and bruised ego, there was little damage. As soon as
the gear collapsed, the other side came off the </SPAN></FONT><FONT
face=Verdana color=black><SPAN
style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">jack</SPAN></FONT><FONT
face=Verdana color=black><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">
stand. The end of one strake hit first and then the bottom of the
fuselage. Just a very slight deformation under the end of the strake spar; and
a smashed end of the fuel vent tube that extended out bottom. No
injuries to the occupant. It's a sturdy airframe.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"></SPAN></FONT> </P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">You know what they
say about retract drivers - there are those who have landed "gear-up", those
that will. I've already done mine.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"></SPAN></FONT> </P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Al</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"></SPAN></FONT> </P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Anybody want to go
flying with me?</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoPlainText><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"></SPAN></FONT> </P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C4457C.9E31CF20--