REFLECTOR:Problem mounting engine to firewall

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 23 May 2004 22:56:35 -0700


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C44119.3303EE60
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

The shims sound like a good idea.  I would use a full-circular washer as =
each shim - I've seen others cut the side of the washer away so the shim =
could be slipped in without removing the bolt, but this never seemed =
like a good idea to me!

Keith Hallsten
=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kufalk=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 9:04 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:Problem mounting engine to firewall


  I just drilled the 5 holes in my XLRG's firewall to mount a Lycoming =
IO-540.  I paid particular attention to getting the height correct.  I =
didn't want the engine sagging below center like most of the Velocitys I =
have seen.  The plans say to hang the engine 1/4" to 3/8" above center =
to account for the flex in the rubber mounts.  I wanted mine a little =
higher than that to make up for additional sagging over time.  I hung =
mine 7/16" above center.  I drilled the holes, installed the bolts, took =
the hoist off and reinstalled the cowling to check the height.  I was =
very surprised to find the center if the crank 1/4" BELOW center!  I am =
not sure why this happened.  The only thing I can think of is that I =
didn't have all 5 pads tight against the firewall when I drilled the =
first hole.  The stainless may have been bowed out slightly on the =
bottom.

  =20

  So does anyone have any idea how to fix this?  I was thinking about =
putting shims under the bottom pads to tip the engine up enough to make =
up the difference.  I calculate a 0.207" shim under the bottom pads and =
0.069" shim under the top outside two pads.  This would tip the engine =
0.8 degrees up and put the crank in center of the hole.

  =20

  Good or bad idea?

  =20

  Darrell Kufalk

  Waukesha, WI

  =20

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C44119.3303EE60
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns:o =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:st1 =
=3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The shims sound like a good idea.&nbsp; =
I would use=20
a full-circular washer as each shim - I've seen others cut the side of =
the=20
washer away so the shim could be slipped in without removing the bolt, =
but this=20
never seemed like a good idea to me!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith Hallsten</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dkufalk@wi.rr.com =
href=3D"mailto:kufalk@wi.rr.com">Kufalk</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, May 23, 2004 9:04 =
PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Problem =
mounting=20
  engine to firewall</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I just drilled the 5 holes in my XLRG=92s =
firewall to=20
  mount a Lycoming IO-540.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; =
</SPAN>I paid=20
  particular attention to getting the height correct.<SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I didn=92t want the engine =
sagging below=20
  center like most of the Velocitys I have seen.<SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The plans say to hang the =
engine 1/4=94=20
  to 3/8=94 above center to account for the flex in the rubber =
mounts.<SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I wanted mine a little =
higher than=20
  that to make up for additional sagging over time.<SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I hung mine 7/16=94 above =
center.<SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I drilled the holes, =
installed the=20
  bolts, took the hoist off and reinstalled the cowling to check the=20
  height.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I was very =
surprised to=20
  find the center if the crank 1/4=94 BELOW center!<SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I am not sure why this =
happened.<SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The only thing I can think =
of is that=20
  I didn=92t have all 5 pads tight against the firewall when I drilled =
the first=20
  hole.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The stainless may =
have been=20
  bowed out slightly on the bottom.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">So does anyone have any idea how to fix =
this?<SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I was thinking about putting =
shims=20
  under the bottom pads to tip the engine up enough to make up the=20
  difference.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I calculate =
a 0.207=94=20
  shim under the bottom pads and 0.069=94 shim under the top outside two =

  pads.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>This would tip =
the engine=20
  0.8 degrees up and put the crank in center of the =
hole.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Good or bad idea?<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Darrell Kufalk<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in =
0pt"><st1:place><st1:City><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Waukesha</SPAN></st1:City><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">, </SPAN><st1:State><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">WI</SPAN></st1:State></st1:place><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTM=
L>

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C44119.3303EE60--