REFLECTOR:Primer

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 21 May 2004 22:53:58 -0600


These are all good tips from Joe, right on..

I painted my refinished canard and lower cowling with Awlgrip.  Very nice 
paint to spray.  I love their primer.  I must be sanded between coats but 
its a joy to sand.

I will do the rest of the plane in Awlgrip.

I used one hour between top coats.  First very light, almost a misting, 
second a cover coat, third another cover.  They sell a good prep/cleaner to 
wipe it down befoer spraying.

There are extensive instructions on how to use their product in pdf format 
on their web page.

I also like the UV blocking provided by the top coat.

Scott

At 04:37 PM 5/21/2004, you wrote:
>Ronnie,
>You can find Awlgrip's P-Sheet at the following link:
>http://www.awlgrip.com  Product Data Sheet \ Awlgrip
>Assumptions:
>The 173 is approximately 500sqft
>An HVLP gun is used with 75% efficiency (Normal efficiency is 65% to 80%)
>2.5 mils is the dry film thickness
>Coverage = 210 sqft / gal
>
>Calculation:
>Surface Area                   500 sqft
>Coverage                      / (210 sqft/gal x 75%)
>Gun Efficiency                x 75 %
>Paint Required                3.17 gallons
>*The paint required may be less if the coverage data is based on the RTS
>(Ready To Spray) mix, the data sheet seems unclear.
>
>My suggestion:
>Break the painting into 4 groups.  Right Wing, Left Wing, Fuselage &
>Cowling, Canard and small parts.  Paint one group at a time.  The recoat
>window is 4 hours, meaning all 3+ gallons will need to be mixed and applied
>in that 4 hour window, pretty aggressive for even a pro.  By sequentially
>painting groups you can gauge how the coverage is running and buy additional
>paint as required.  At $150 per gallon plus converter and reducer, you don't
>want to buy too much.
>
>Other Tips:
>3M 233plus masking tape is the best I have ever used for spray painting.
>Don't use plastic for masking off parts, use kraft paper.  Paint generally
>does not stick to plastic and subsequent coats will blast off loose flakes
>that will land on your newly painted surface.  The dry time to dust or tack
>free is not listed, but with the long tape time (24hrs) the dust and tack
>times are probably as high as 12 hours (watch for dust and bugs during this
>period.)  Start as early in the day as possible so the finish might be tack
>free by the time night starts to fall and bugs concentrate near light
>sources (like the light being reflected off of white wings.)  Since this is
>an aircraft subject to hitting things like bugs and strong air currents, I
>would not use the AC for the full 14 day cure time period.  Prep with a good
>grade of wax/silicone remover compatible with the paint system, some
>solvents dont react well to polyesters and others don' t always flash off
>well.  Check with paint manufacture for surface prep info, none is listed in
>their P-sheet.  Try to creep up on that elusive gloss, remember there is a
>fine line between orange peel and a run.  Check with the manufacture for
>approved finishing techniques, can the paint be buffed, knowing this ahead
>of time is helpful in deciding whether to risk a run with a little more
>paint or better to leave a little orange peel alone and buff it out later.
>And always remember the 3 most important parts of a paint job are surface
>preparation, surface preparation, and surface preparation (in no particular
>order.)
>
>Hope this is helpful.
>Joe
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Ronnie Brown" <romott@adelphia.net>
>To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
>Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 8:14 AM
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Primer
>
>
> > And while we are talking about paint, I am planning to use Awlgrip as the
> > final finish coat.
> >
> > How many gallons will I need?
> >
> > Ronnie Brown
> > 173 Elite RG
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: <gattenby@gbronline.com>
> > To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> > Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 6:19 PM
> > Subject: REFLECTOR:Primer
> >
> >
> > | Ok since it's quite I'll start asking questions...
> > | I'm in the sand / fill / sand / fill  stage of the wings /
> > | canard.
> > | I'm starting to think about primer.
> > | I haven't started thinking about what kind of paint.
> > | I have a small quantity of smooth prime.
> > | If I put it on the plane do I limit my choices of paint?
> > | What is the recommended primer?  The most common?
> > |
> > | Noel
> > |
> > |
> > |
> > |
> > | > I guess everyone has gone flying
> > | >
> > | _______________________________________________
> > | To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > |
> > | Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > | user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > | Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > | Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin